First 1,000yd match

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you would be correct, on priming, some leave primers on the mat to prim when down on mat. good trick for body alignment is when you get on target close aiming eye and open if you are still on target , if so body alignment is good. If not move your body until you are on target, not the rifle to target.
Exactly! Natural point of aim.
If Hoppy does it like we do, each shooter will get a "pit schedule". On our 3 man squad system, each man in the squad will randomly draw a number between 1 and 3. The number you draw will be your number for the weekend. Our pit schedule has 3 columns......shoot, spot and pits. If you follow your number on the pit schedule, it will indicate when you shoot, spot and go to the pits. Hop or your squad mates will explain the system to you. Don't be shy about asking what you do next. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick.
Never bring your rifle to the firing line until you hear the command to do so. This will happen when the "pits are sealed", and all the target pullers are in the pits and accounted for. However, you can get the rest of your stuff set up on the firing line. K.I.S.S. shooting mat, primers, X-sticks, [rubber mallet] and timer if you would rather have it there than on your reloading table. When there is a pit change, all rifles must be removed from the firing line.
When your relay is called to the firing line, bring your rifle, and make the final adjustments to your sticks to get your N.P.O.A.. When you hear the "fire" command, start your countdown timer, add primer and shoot an "X" on your first shot. [Why not? the bullet has to go somewhere, right?]
When your done firing at 800 yds, remove your stuff from the line, write down your sight setting and put in the sight setting for 900 yds. [Don't forget!] put stuff away and get ready to spot or head to the pits. X
P.S. Tomorrow or Monday, with 45-70's input, We can give you some pointers on what is expected from a [good] spotter.

Exactly! Natural point of aim.
If Hoppy does it like we do, each shooter will get a "pit schedule". On our 3 man squad system, each man in the squad will randomly draw a number between 1 and 3. The number you draw will be your number for the weekend. Our pit schedule has 3 columns......shoot, spot and pits. If you follow your number on the pit schedule, it will indicate when you shoot, spot and go to the pits. Hop or your squad mates will explain the system to you. Don't be shy about asking what you do next. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick.
Never bring your rifle to the firing line until you hear the command to do so. This will happen when the "pits are sealed", and all the target pullers are in the pits and accounted for. However, you can get the rest of your stuff set up on the firing line. K.I.S.S. shooting mat, primers, X-sticks, [rubber mallet] and timer if you would rather have it there than on your reloading table. When there is a pit change, all rifles must be removed from the firing line.
When your relay is called to the firing line, bring your rifle, and make the final adjustments to your sticks to get your N.P.O.A.. When you hear the "fire" command, start your countdown timer, add primer and shoot an "X" on your first shot. [Why not? the bullet has to go somewhere, right?]
When your done firing at 800 yds, remove your stuff from the line, write down your sight setting and put in the sight setting for 900 yds. [Don't forget!] put stuff away and get ready to spot or head to the pits. X
P.S. Tomorrow or Monday, with 45-70's input, We can give you some pointers on what is expected from a [good] spotter.
OK..........It's your turn to spot. You need a cheap folding chair or stool, spotting scope, clipboard with your squadmates' scorecards, pencil or pen, radio, and countdown timer. Make sure that your squad radios are on the same channel. Change batteries on Saturday night.Talk to your shooter to find out what wind/mirage/time left etc. info you need to give him. I like to sit on my shooter's immediate right side so we can communicate easily. Don't be a gabber! Be specific and brief. The shooter needs to be able to focus on the info you gave him and make a good shot. All shooters should be able to see the wind flags in their firing position. Mirage can be observed through your rifle scope. When it's your turn to shoot tell your spotter exactly what info you want [if any.] When you are spotting, carefully observe how the wind and mirage affect your shooter's bullets. You'll start to learn how much and what conditions affect the flight of a bullet. Be observant! You will learn as much spotting as you do shooting. Watch the top of the berm for low misses. Sometimes you can see the dirt "splash". Bullets that ricochet off the very top of the berm and hit the target are scored as MISSES. When the target comes up after each shot, relay to the shooter..........[example] "your last shot was an 8 at 3 o'clock." Then write the 8 on the scorecard. Make sure you score the right scorecard! Write down the score for each shot. Shots that miss the target are scored as "M" not zero. [Zeros on the scorecard can be changed to a "10" with the stroke of a pen.] When your shooter has completed firing, add up his score [correctly!] and give him the scorecard to re-add and verify that you both agree on the score. Then initial the scorecard. Remember, you are a team! Your sole job as a spotter is to help your shooter shoot a good score. Take pride in it! I hope this helps a little. X

yes but I don't have them, they are just off I-65 and 31 I believe. See if you can contact Ray Hoppy in the flyer

Last edited:
try this one. Red Roof Inn , Highway 31 I-65 Exit 76 -A , Taylorsville , Ind. 47280 4.6 miles from Atterbury

Well, I got to throw a well-deserved FIT today.

When you're ready and absolutely need that chronograph to work............ and it doesn't :wall: :wall::wall::wall:
Called Caldwell this morning. Long story shortened........... As soon as the new stock comes in, they're replacing my unit for free and that's knowing mine is 3yrs old. Can't complain about their customer service.
In the mean time I have to figure something out...... June 11-12 is not that far off.

surly you know somebody with one
Nope. Up here there are not many that take shooting very serious UNLESS its at game :)
I am going to go to one of the area FB pages and ask. I can foul the barrel here at home and if I could just send 3 it would be close enough. I'll make something happen if I have to buy another Caldwell off Amazon.

Encore you do realize NMLRA Nationals will be going on in Friendship for a week starting the two days we are at Atterbury

Last night that chrono was "upsetting me", so knowing it wasn't working anyway, I decided to tear it apart. Not much to it other than 4 screws. I cleaned everything inside and especially the sensors. The couple connections inside I made sure were locked in place and put it back together.
I got the Android tablet out and hooked that up, then turned on the unit. It didn't want to recognize the chrono and although it showed as connected, it didn't work. Reset it a couple times and all it did was start with an error. I have no clue what happened but after fiddling with stuff the tablet recognized it. :)

So I tossed the ink pen top through it a few times and it was anywhere from 19 to 24fps. Deleted the group on the tablet and started over again. This time out of 5 tosses of that ink pen top, one toss registered at 8,700fps ???????? :wall:
Thought what the heck and hooked it up to my iPhone. It took a bit but the phone now recognized it. Threw that ink pen top probably close to 40 times and other than me hitting a rod with it once causing an error, it appeared to at least be functioning.

Took it out earlier today and had one heck of a time getting it to register. I was just to the point of giving it up and BINGO! The iPhone recognized it again. I sent some 275gr Accumax's through it to foul the barrel and see if it may even be close. 2,257fps with a spread of 4. I did get a couple errors for some reason but at least it didn't register 8,700fps!
I then shot 8 of the 300gr XLD's and 120grs VOLUME (Lot#39) and it averaged 2,145fps with a spread of 10.

That at least can get me started on the 600yd range for my actual drops, then adjust the BC to match the actual drops and it'll at least be very close at the match.

At least it gives me something to start with. Used a BC of .435

2145fps 5-2-22 but with chrono hopefully working right..jpg

Last night that chrono was "upsetting me", so knowing it wasn't working anyway, I decided to tear it apart. Not much to it other than 4 screws. I cleaned everything inside and especially the sensors. The couple connections inside I made sure were locked in place and put it back together.
I got the Android tablet out and hooked that up, then turned on the unit. It didn't want to recognize the chrono and although it showed as connected, it didn't work. Reset it a couple times and all it did was start with an error. I have no clue what happened but after fiddling with stuff the tablet recognized it. :)

So I tossed the ink pen top through it a few times and it was anywhere from 19 to 24fps. Deleted the group on the tablet and started over again. This time out of 5 tosses of that ink pen top, one toss registered at 8,700fps ???????? :wall:
Thought what the heck and hooked it up to my iPhone. It took a bit but the phone now recognized it. Threw that ink pen top probably close to 40 times and other than me hitting a rod with it once causing an error, it appeared to at least be functioning.

Took it out earlier today and had one heck of a time getting it to register. I was just to the point of giving it up and BINGO! The iPhone recognized it again. I sent some 275gr Accumax's through it to foul the barrel and see if it may even be close. 2,257fps with a spread of 4. I did get a couple errors for some reason but at least it didn't register 8,700fps!
I then shot 8 of the 300gr XLD's and 120grs VOLUME (Lot#39) and it averaged 2,145fps with a spread of 10.

That at least can get me started on the 600yd range for my actual drops, then adjust the BC to match the actual drops and it'll at least be very close at the match.

At least it gives me something to start with. Used a BC of .435

View attachment 21212
Figures look about right at least at 500

The wife finally got into the ortho doc that I go to. X-rays showed things had healed exceptionally well and he seemed impressed with the surgeon's work. She wouldn't look at the x-rays but I did. HOLY SMOKES! There's more hardware in there than at a Ace Hardware store! Imagine that you take all the forks out of the drawer and mix them together. THAT is sorta what her knee looks like. But........... that was great news today for the wife.

Me........... well I go in Friday morning and they're going to set me up for my right knee replacement. AFTER THE MATCH! ;)
I told him it would have to be a real emergency for me to not make the match. He said it'll be after the match and smiled.

Now the kinda sorta bad news......... I CAN NOT have any injections to reduce inflammation or pain in the knee. If I did, I'd have to wait a minimum of 90 days before I could have the surgery. Its already "sparking" and the shots just dull the pain. So......... I'll be braced up but I'm going to be there. It'll be fun! :snipe:

The wife finally got into the ortho doc that I go to. X-rays showed things had healed exceptionally well and he seemed impressed with the surgeon's work. She wouldn't look at the x-rays but I did. HOLY SMOKES! There's more hardware in there than at a Ace Hardware store! Imagine that you take all the forks out of the drawer and mix them together. THAT is sorta what her knee looks like. But........... that was great news today for the wife.

Me........... well I go in Friday morning and they're going to set me up for my right knee replacement. AFTER THE MATCH! ;)
I told him it would have to be a real emergency for me to not make the match. He said it'll be after the match and smiled.

Now the kinda sorta bad news......... I CAN NOT have any injections to reduce inflammation or pain in the knee. If I did, I'd have to wait a minimum of 90 days before I could have the surgery. Its already "sparking" and the shots just dull the pain. So......... I'll be braced up but I'm going to be there. It'll be fun! :snipe:
Encore

Encore.........Make sure you take a supply of Tylenol, advil, etc. and take one at breakfast, lunch, and before bed. It's far better to take one before the activity begins rather than after the pain starts. X

Encore

Encore.........Make sure you take a supply of Tylenol, advil, etc. and take one at breakfast, lunch, and before bed. It's far better to take one before the activity begins rather than after the pain starts. X
P.S. There is always "plan B". I know a few guys that have knee/hip problems shoot from tall X-sticks while sitting on a box,milk crate etc. If there is any possibility that you might have to do this, better check with Hoppy to explain your situation and get his input. X

P.S. There is always "plan B". I know a few guys that have knee/hip problems shoot from tall X-sticks while sitting on a box,milk crate etc. If there is any possibility that you might have to do this, better check with Hoppy to explain your situation and get his input. X
I talked with him the other day but at that time I wasn't aware of what I know now. I probably better at least let him know about having a knee issue. I don't believe its going to affect me that I have to shoot from another position. Leg brace will help.

Back