First 1,000yd match

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P.S. There is always "plan B". I know a few guys that have knee/hip problems shoot from tall X-sticks while sitting on a box,milk crate etc. If there is any possibility that you might have to do this, better check with Hoppy to explain your situation and get his input. X
I talked with him the other day but at that time I wasn't aware of what I know now. I probably better at least let him know about having a knee issue. I don't believe its going to affect me that I have to shoot from another position. Leg brace will help.
He will allow the sitting with tall stixs. Getting up and down to pull targets is another issue

He will allow the sitting with tall stixs. Getting up and down to pull targets is another issue
I sent Hoppy an email this morning. I'll be wearing a brace and it might be tough getting up and down but..... I'm shooting prone. He may need to make pit changes???

I don't plan on winning anything other than learning and having fun. Also if my attendance helps bring in future shooters and keeps the match open for modern inline rifles, its a good thing.

I believe I'm heading to the club to create a range card today to 600yds.

I sent Hoppy an email this morning. I'll be wearing a brace and it might be tough getting up and down but..... I'm shooting prone. He may need to make pit changes???

I don't plan on winning anything other than learning and having fun. Also if my attendance helps bring in future shooters and keeps the match open for modern inline rifles, its a good thing.

I believe I'm heading to the club to create a range card today to 600yds.
Good luck

Made it but boy oh boy was there a lot of water up there. I don't remember seeing that much standing water in the past. I could drive as far as the 200yd board and that was it. Waded through water and mud but by gollie I got the targets hung up.
Got everything ready and used my velocity from the other day and played with the BC. I'm not sure my chronograph read properly. So......... Ya can't find a labradar so I think I'll order the Magnetospeed V3.

200yd target.

200YDS.jpg

300yd target

300YD.jpg

400yd target

400YDS.jpg

500yd target

500YDS.jpg

I had a little rough time at 600yds. Mirage was insane and I couldn't see the bullet holes through the spotting scope. I went by the chart and the first 3 shots were low, but a darn nice group. I just struggled and finally could see what was going on.

600yds1.jpg

Entire 600yd target. Frustrating :)

600yds.jpg

Made it but boy oh boy was there a lot of water up there. I don't remember seeing that much standing water in the past. I could drive as far as the 200yd board and that was it. Waded through water and mud but by gollie I got the targets hung up.
Got everything ready and used my velocity from the other day and played with the BC. I'm not sure my chronograph read properly. So......... Ya can't find a labradar so I think I'll order the Magnetospeed V3.

200yd target.

View attachment 21237

300yd target

View attachment 21238

400yd target

View attachment 21239

500yd target

View attachment 21240

I had a little rough time at 600yds. Mirage was insane and I couldn't see the bullet holes through the spotting scope. I went by the chart and the first 3 shots were low, but a darn nice group. I just struggled and finally could see what was going on.

View attachment 21241

View attachment 21242
you must remember score rings or moa is 6 inches and that would be x ring

200yd target.

View attachment 21237

300yd target

View attachment 21238

400yd target

View attachment 21239

500yd target

View attachment 21240

View attachment 21241

View attachment 21242
Encore...........you may have to lower your expectations just a little. Range conditions may change several times in a minute due to wind pick-ups and let-offs with corresponding changes in the mirage. You did the best you could do at 600 yds. under those conditions. Think of this..........if this target was shot in a match it just might be the best target that anyone shot at that distance. It really doesn't matter if you think it's bad.................just as long as everybody else does worse! A match is never over until the fat lady sings.
P.S. You might want to add an elbow pad to your equipment list. In the prone position your right elbow might get rubbed raw depending on how much your rifle recoils and what kind of mat you are laying on. If it's hot and sticky, you just might be shooting in shorts and a t shirt.
P.P.S. Bring sunscreen. X

my 500 is something like 15 moa at 500. My velocity is higher

600 yard setting is all you need to know nothing else. Like the man said it is always changing

Encore...........you may have to lower your expectations just a little. Range conditions may change several times in a minute due to wind pick-ups and let-offs with corresponding changes in the mirage. You did the best you could do at 600 yds. under those conditions. Think of this..........if this target was shot in a match it just might be the best target that anyone shot at that distance. It really doesn't matter if you think it's bad.................just as long as everybody else does worse! A match is never over until the fat lady sings.
P.S. You might want to add an elbow pad to your equipment list. In the prone position your right elbow might get rubbed raw depending on how much your rifle recoils and what kind of mat you are laying on. If it's hot and sticky, you just might be shooting in shorts and a t shirt.
P.P.S. Bring sunscreen. X

;) I've had a pair of elbow pads in my shoot'n box for a long time. Remember, I was shooting 180grs and a 300gr bullet from that BP Xpress that kicked like hell.

Planning on practicing my 30 minutes over the weekend here at home with a stop watch.

2330 is cooking.

I'm not done with the process yet. The chronograph readings I was getting were faulty and although they're replacing the unit, its not until they get them back in stock. I fixed that issue by ordering a Magnetospeed V3 that should be here Tuesday. From everything I've read or watched on youtube, the Magnetospeed V3 is extremely accurate. Most would rather have the LabRadar but try finding one of those that some hack isn't asking $1,600 for.

Hoppy called this afternoon. He received my email and the issue with my knee. He did offer a setting pair of sticks if I need them, but I plan on shooting prone. He also said that as far as the pits that it would be easy to work something out. He said he's not a stickler about time and process.
Actually.......... I haven't shaken his hand yet but, I almost think I know him. I can tell he's one heck of a good guy. I'll bet we talked 45min. He told me about one of the past shoots that he had to cut short because it was so darn hot people couldn't stand it. He did say that if I wanted, I should bring a pop-up canopy. He told me that when they shoot the 1K that people will put them up and just lower them for over night, then the next day for the 2 - 1K relays they are already there.
Looking forward to this........

going to shoot it all it is an Agg. takes about an hour 10 minutes to get to Friendship. If maybe load doesn't work I might not even finish Sat. like said haven't tried with Inline before

Fun day............................

Moved the heavy bench out of the way. Mats out, cross sticks in place and the loading table is ready.

thumbnail1.jpg

Mat, sticks, PAST recoil pad and elbow pads. Modules are in place.

thumbnail2.jpg

Loading table with necessities.

thumbnail3.jpg

I set the timer and away I went. I had a couple hic-ups but made it in time.

Finished in 26min ...........

Time.jpg

Those hic-ups really wanted to cause an anxious condition, but pretty happy with the target for timing the 10 rounds.
The two high right are first two sent.

IMG_2440.JPG

Moved the heavy bench out of the way. Mats out, cross sticks in place and the loading table is ready.

View attachment 21273

View attachment 21274

View attachment 21275

View attachment 21276

Those hic-ups really wanted to cause an anxious condition, but pretty happy with the target for timing the 10 rounds.

View attachment 21277
very nice , believe you are getting the hang of it

View attachment 21273

View attachment 21274

View attachment 21275

View attachment 21276

View attachment 21277
Just a little over 2 minutes 30 seconds per round. You should probably plan on taking 2 sighting shots at each distance on Saturday just to be on the safe side since you will be shooting without confirmed sight settings. As you have probably found out, having everything arranged perfectly on your mat and loading table saves time. X

Back