First attempt casting .50 Lyman Plains Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I measured .503" on the middle band and when checked my bore, it went about half way with some resistance. My bore slugged .501/.511 so should I size to my bore .501?
My Lee bullet caster is a small 275 watt pot. I will get a thermometer and allow my lead to heat up longer to get to 800 degrees.
I let my bigger Lee pot heat for about 45 minutes before I check the temperature.

Me too. I wasnt letting mine heat long enough before. 500 watts. I leave it for at least 30 minutes, or longer.
Then my little "just kidding" furnace needs more time to achieve those temps. I have a lazer thermometer I used for HVAC work. I'll see what it reads, but I'll get a real thermometer for sure!

Then my little "just kidding" furnace needs more time to achieve those temps. I have a lazer thermometer I used for HVAC work. I'll see what it reads, but I'll get a real thermometer for sure!

I used one of those laser infrared temp guns. Thats how i found out i wasnt waiting long enough. I had a Fluke temp meter for work and i bought a probe for submerging in the lead. Way more accurate than i need but i already had it.

Sounds like your weights are quite consistent. I would like to see the base a little sharper but that might just be the pic or my old eyes. The proof will be in the pudding or should I say in the shooting.

Sounds like your weights are quite consistent. I would like to see the base a little sharper but that might just be the pic or my old eyes. The proof will be in the pudding or should I say in the shooting.
My camera in my phone isn't the best. That was the first thing I looked at to see how squared the base and lube grooves were. I thought they looked good, but then again, I'm the newbie!

My camera in my phone isn't the best. That was the first thing I looked at to see how squared the base and lube grooves were. I thought they looked good, but then again, I'm the newbie!
I've got my furnace heating up as we speak. I'll give it 45 minutes and check temps. I'm going to preheat my mold with my propane torch. I can easily check temps with my lazer thermometer.

I'll post some pics of them later on this afternoon.
Best temps were 715 degrees in my single heat 275 watt Lee bullet caster. Top band measured .503" consistently. My weight deviated more, about 2 grains but I did end up with 7 that weighted exactly the same.

Can you try and raise the temperature to get it at least 750 - 800 degrees?
There is no adjustments on this. Its a plug in and go. If I raise my room temperature it might. LOL! I usually have the room temperature around 55 up in my man loft above the garage. I'm looking at investing in another lead furnace.

Many of us use either the Lee 20 lb Bottom Spout or the other model without the bottom spout and use a Ladle to pour the lead into the mold or is it mould??? :D
There are way too many versions of words in the EnglishAmerican language. I use a ladle and it fills it nicely. I was looking into a propane lead burner furnace with a small cast iron pot. I used them years ago to pack and pour lead joints in cast iron drain pipe.

There are way too many versions of words in the EnglishAmerican language. I use a ladle and it fills it nicely. I was looking into a propane lead burner furnace with a small cast iron pot. I used them years ago to pack and pour lead joints in cast iron drain pipe.
I'll probably buy a bottom pour production pot if I can afford it. Right now I'm doing what I can, where I am with what I have.

Your bullet doesn’t look bad at all, Especially for your 1st time!

But it is not Perfectly Filled out, There is some “Roll” in your Base edge and Bands. When PERFECTLY filled out That Bullet will probably weigh 400 Grains if Cast of Pure Lead.

You definitely need to get the Mold & Lead Temperature UP some more. Look for Sharp Base & Band Edges. Like this when you open the Mold, With PURE Lead you will get slight “Shrinkage” as the Bullet Cools
7XAN6ID.jpg

Your bullet doesn’t look bad at all, Especially for your 1st time!

But it is not Perfectly Filled out, There is some “Roll” in your Base edge and Bands. When PERFECTLY filled out That Bullet will probably weigh 400 Grains if Cast of Pure Lead.

You definitely need to get the Mold & Lead Temperature UP some more. Look for Sharp Base & Band Edges. Like this when you open the Mold, With PURE Lead you will get slight “Shrinkage” as the Bullet Cools
7XAN6ID.jpg
I went back to your tutorial about time spent to get temperature up on the mold. My first batch (yesterday) I dipped the mold into the lead, today I heated it with a torch. Yesterday my weights were higher, over 400 grains, today they were less, 396 to 398 grains and wider deviation in weight. I see now how much the temperature plays on the process, and I know I could improve on the quality of my molten lead with cleanliness and flexing. Thank you Lewis and to all of you guiding me through this adventure. I am blessed to be the student!

I went back to your tutorial about time spent to get temperature up on the mold. My first batch (yesterday) I dipped the mold into the lead, today I heated it with a torch. Yesterday my weights were higher, over 400 grains, today they were less, 396 to 398 grains and wider deviation in weight. I see now how much the temperature plays on the process, and I know I could improve on the quality of my molten lead with cleanliness and flexing. Thank you Lewis and to all of you guiding me through this adventure. I am blessed to be the student!
...fluxing...

Latest posts

Back