First Muzzle Loader Questions - CVA Accura LRX 50. Caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you expect to be carrying that ML a LOT then go with the 26”. Imho i like the longer barrels but either will shoot fine for you to 150-200yards IF YOU PRACTICE. Since youre also going after elk then you should probably look at the heavier bullets, 290gr Barnes are good bullets but hard to find right now. Maybe you can find some 300gr Hornady sst. Either one with its supplied sabot will be a good starting point and may be found locally off the shelf. You might also still be able to find some Thompson Center stuff on shelves. If you are shopping online then there are so many more options available. Look for 290 to 400grain weight for that gun and muley/elk size game. I dont know which breech plug comes with an Optima, loose powder or pellet style, theyre different. You should ask for both just in case.

I will practice a lot. I am pretty meticulous about stuff like this. I anticipate going for Elk if I draw those MZ tag in future years, but for now I am only after my Mule Deer. Would you still recommend the 290 gr Barnes of 30 gr Hornady for Mule Deer?

I usually shop online due to convenience but was able to find primers and powder today my LGS.

I do not know much about the breech plugs. So there are different ones for powder vs pellet? Says it has a quick release breech plug.

Thanks!

Good points. I read that same review and it scared me quite a bit.

I think I'll go with the Optima V2! Seems like a great option. For my purposes, would you say the 26 or 28 inch barrel would be best? What is the recoil like on MZs? Would the 28 have a little less kick?

Thanks! James

Glad to hear you found some primers and powder! Those primers should be fine with 777 pellets or loose. Your barrel choice is good! For western big game hunting where you’ll be up and down mountains and a long way from the truck I think you’ll be better off with a 26” barrel which is lighter and more maneuverable. A 28” will only give you a litte more velocity. Not worth the trade off IMO. My favorite rifle for backcountry hunting is an Omega X7 with a 24” barrel.

For mule deer, any good bullet 250-300gr will work. Ive killed more mule deer than i can count with a TC 300 grain bonded Shockwave. The Barnes have never been as accurate for me in my rifles so I don’t shoot them for deer. For elk, I think that bullet is sufficient - Ive killed several big bulls with it - but I think a Barnes copper in 300 ish grains is perfect like TX said. They work great on elk!

The standard QRBP that comes with CVA Optima V2 is listed for use with all loose and pelletized powders.
The BH209 breech plug is designed for use with Blackhorn 209 powder.

The standard QRBP that comes with CVA Optima V2 is listed for use with all loose and pelletized powders.
The BH209 breech plug is designed for use with Blackhorn 209 powder.

Awesome. So the QRBP will work for my 777 pellets and powder and I'll only need a the BH209 if I end up using Blackhorn powder?

I also need to find info on how to clean the rifle. Do most swab after everyshot? I've read about the "crud ring". Is swabbing just with water? Or do you use solvent, brushes, patches, bore guides, cleaning rods, in the rifles like normal centerfires?

Thanks so much! Couldn't this without everyone's help. Sincere THANK YOU!

When I'm at the range, I don't always swab after every shot. Maybe every 3rd or 4th. I use good old Windex. I keep a bottle with my range box. I shoot traditional sidehammer guns, one particular gun seems to like T7 but with # 11 caps, the crud ring isn't a problem.
I do have a CVA Optima V2 pistol that I like to mess around with. I do target shoot with it using T7.
I'm more diligent about swabbing that gun because of the crud ring.
I use CVA bore blaster to clean up the pistol.

With 777 powder I always swab between each shot at the range. I use a real “spit patch” using saliva, but lots of people use windex soaked patches ( original windex). Or you can just use water

I lick one side, run that down the barrel, turn it over, run that down, then run a clean patch down (both sides too) then reload.

Great. I ordered a 26 inch Optima V2. Yeah, I look forward to playing around with different loads. I am sure I will have more questions once I start tinkering around.

Thanks!

Congratulations, you went from Zero to ML Addiction Quickly! 😁
Please Keep the Flash / Flame Channel on your Breech Plug drilled out after every few shots. I Believe CVA uses an 1/8" Drill Bit. Good Luck with your New Mexico Tag 🤞

Thanks for great advice already! The following is taken from the Blackhorn website

"Blackhorn 209 is designed to work with standard 209 shotshell primers. For the best results, we recommend the following brands:

• CCI 209M
  • Federal 209A
We DO NOT recommend any of the 209 primers designated for muzzleloaders (Winchester Triple 7, CCI MZL, Federal Fusion, or Remington Kleanbore). These primers are all weaker than standard shotshell 209 primers and do not provide adequate ignition for Blackhorn 209 – especially when used in a poorly designed breech plug system. We also DO NOT recommend #11 percussion caps or musket caps."

Should I look for muzzleloader specific 209 primers or 209 shotshell primers like they recommend?

Thanks!!!
To be clear...CCI 209M and Federal 209A are your 2 best choices.

If you can find them pick up some Barnes Expanders MZ. You'll be happy with them. I've had great accuracy and terminal performance on whitetail with the 250 grain version. I use BH so can't offer much useful advice on charges with other powders. Quit using them several years ago.

Thanks for great advice already! The following is taken from the Blackhorn website

"Blackhorn 209 is designed to work with standard 209 shotshell primers. For the best results, we recommend the following brands:

• CCI 209M
  • Federal 209A
We DO NOT recommend any of the 209 primers designated for muzzleloaders (Winchester Triple 7, CCI MZL, Federal Fusion, or Remington Kleanbore). These primers are all weaker than standard shotshell 209 primers and do not provide adequate ignition for Blackhorn 209 – especially when used in a poorly designed breech plug system. We also DO NOT recommend #11 percussion caps or musket caps."

Should I look for muzzleloader specific 209 primers or 209 shotshell primers like they recommend?

Thanks!!!
Winchester blue box 209 shotshell primers also work

I will practice a lot. I am pretty meticulous about stuff like this. I anticipate going for Elk if I draw those MZ tag in future years, but for now I am only after my Mule Deer. Would you still recommend the 290 gr Barnes of 30 gr Hornady for Mule Deer?

I usually shop online due to convenience but was able to find primers and powder today my LGS.

I do not know much about the breech plugs. So there are different ones for powder vs pellet? Says it has a quick release breech plug.

Thanks!
That 290 Barnes perfect.

Congratulations, you went from Zero to ML Addiction Quickly! 😁
Please Keep the Flash / Flame Channel on your Breech Plug drilled out after every few shots. I Believe CVA uses an 1/8" Drill Bit. Good Luck with your New Mexico Tag 🤞

Can you explain that a bit more? Is that the threaded channel you screw the breech plug into?

So unscrew that and clean the threads by hand with a 1/8" drill bit/brush? Do you use water or windex on the brush?

Thanks!

I have never had to do the drill bit clean out with 777. Only with BH 209. Wouldn’t hurt anything though. With BH 209 you have to do it after each shooting session.
And the reason for that is a 209 primer is a mediocre ignition source for BH209. I know what Western says. I tried that. Then I found LRMP ignition and everything changed. IMO 209 primers are a mistake. They have more cons than pros.

I have never had a misfire or hang fire using 209 shotgun primers. Just saying. :rolleyes:
I never said anything about a misfire or a hang fire. Let's double back to the original topic of cleaning the breech plug. The reason this is such an issue is because of the incomplete ignition given by a 209 primer. It's simply not hot enough...and they tend to expand the powder column because of the amount of pressure they generate. Let's not loose sight of the original purpose of a 209 primer...to ignite smokeless powder in a shotgun shell. If you knew beans about LRMP ignition then you wouldn't be rolling your eyes like a little school girl...but you don't, so you did. Edification is superior to attitude. Try it some time.

Latest posts

Back