First Muzzy Purchase: CVA vs. Knight... Advice and Reviews!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not start with a less expensive Knight. Many get sold here. I have 6 in 45,50, and 54 calibers. As the man stated they all shoot great with very little load development. If you like them I believe you can use the mounts on an upgrade knight if you like.

Knight has their .52s Disc Extreme rifles on sale for what you’d put in a CVA entry rifle. Lead bullets aren’t hard to come by - if you’ve put as much research in as it seems - finding the right load won’t be hard either.

The silver sabot from Knight will allow you to shoot jacketed big pistol bullets out of state, and they’re easy to get as well.

The gain of the Ultra lite in loss of rifle weight over the Disc Extreme isn’t as much as its made out to be - IMHO. The Ultra Lite is a great stock, but it’s not making the rifle shoot any better than your good load will.

Knight has their .52s Disc Extreme rifles on sale for what you’d put in a CVA entry rifle. Lead bullets aren’t hard to come by - if you’ve put as much research in as it seems - finding the right load won’t be hard either.

The silver sabot from Knight will allow you to shoot jacketed big pistol bullets out of state, and they’re easy to get as well.

The gain of the Ultra lite in loss of rifle weight over the Disc Extreme isn’t as much as its made out to be - IMHO. The Ultra Lite is a great stock, but it’s not making the rifle shoot any better than your good load will.
So in your opinion, the weight of the Mountaineer and/or Disc Extreme would be worth the added barrel length/accuracy?

Just bought the Ultralight. My thoughts. The ignition systems are interchangeable, which is a game changer for me. The same gun can be used in muzzleloader season and short range weapon season, just be changing the priming system. Quality seems to be pretty good, a customer service number would be great.

My LK-93s, original DISC, DISC Extreme, and Ultra Lite have all shot close enough in grouping to be a non point of discussion inside the 200 yards that Knight advertises.

I’m a guy that will notice the 10 - 12 pounds off of my spare tire before I truly notice 10 - 12 ounces of rifle weight - YMMV 😉

That said - I think the Ultra Lite is a solid investment, and I’ve enjoyed mine. But, I don’t think I’m missing much if I’m shooting a DISC Extreme. I have had a couple Mountaineers, they’re heavier, and shoot just as well as the rest - but they got sold first.

I’m am Idaho guy transplanted to VA with “out West” hunting opportunities - the ability to switch ignition has been important to my needs - real or imagined. As noted above - the conversion is easy.

Cva does, but their wording is pretty weak, imo... "CVA’s Accura and Paramount rifles are guaranteed to outshoot any muzzleloader that you’ve ever shot – or your money back." - CVA Accuracy Guarantee.
Weak is an understatement. How would one measure or quantify any of that statement? Impossible, it’s not specific, measurable or attainable. That’s CVAs easy out.

If you’ve never argued with them about anything, I’d encourage you not to.

I have a Kodiak .45, an Accura V2 50 cal and the Optima pistol. All bought before CVA started with the fancy stuff that relied on their bullets and the pellets they promote. Each of these guns has a breech plug converted to use vent liners and each of these guns shoot lights out with sabots and commonly gotten XTP bullets using BH powder. I've had one interaction with their customer service, when the knob on the ramrod of the pistol broke off. They had a new rod in my hands within two days by expedited postage. No gripes on my part.

Over the years I have considered getting a mid-level Knight, but I don't want to have to fart around with aftermarket breech plugs or bolt faces just to get the gun to shoot clean when each of my CVAs shoot without a hint of soot anywhere. If a gun doesn't come to my door ready to shoot clean, I don't want it. My Patriot shoots as clean as a whistle with smokeless so no gripes there either.

Aside from custom guns or guns built to order [think Woodman] I honestly think that CVA, Traditions and Knight need to star looking seriously at what the shooter demands today considering the prices for these three ask for their guns. Is it too much to ask that the guns ready to shoot any of the black or subs and with bullet/sabots of shooter's choice and do so without needing any further aftermarket expense to the buyer?

Cleaning either rifle is a non factor in my opinion. I have a break barrel ML and a Knight and I see no issues cleaning either. I have screw in bore guides for both rifles that make cleaning simple and a lot less messy.

Knight has their .52s Disc Extreme rifles on sale for what you’d put in a CVA entry rifle.
That clearance price can't be beat. I have several 52 DEs plus molds from 300 to 610 grains and extra breechplugs for all. I can use #10 or musket caps, full plastic jackets, bare 209 primer or power stem ignition on any of them. I've never been without some way to shoot regardless of shortages. Also, the 52 DEs are the most gun you can buy for the money if larger than deer game is a possibility - 375 grns @ 1900+ fps up to 535 grains @ 1650 fps (w/ RS or 777). I've got an email from Knight Tech stating any weight bullet the twist will stabilize is safe to shoot with max recommended powder charges.

I also have two CVA Optima V2 pistols. They're my favorite handguns plus the most convenient and fun to shoot. I'm sure CVA rifles are the same. The only thing I'd change with CVAs is they have a max bullet weight of 400 grains - again if bigger game might be on the menu (Full disclosure: I grew up reading all Elmer Keith wrote). I love CVAs & Knights; IMO it's just personal preference and you can't go wrong with either one. I'll be keeping both so long as I can pull a trigger.

My LK-93s, original DISC, DISC Extreme, and Ultra Lite have all shot close enough in grouping to be a non point of discussion inside the 200 yards that Knight advertises.

I’m a guy that will notice the 10 - 12 pounds off of my spare tire before I truly notice 10 - 12 ounces of rifle weight - YMMV 😉

That said - I think the Ultra Lite is a solid investment, and I’ve enjoyed mine. But, I don’t think I’m missing much if I’m shooting a DISC Extreme. I have had a couple Mountaineers, they’re heavier, and shoot just as well as the rest - but they got sold

That clearance price can't be beat. I have several 52 DEs plus molds from 300 to 610 grains and extra breechplugs for all. I can use #10 or musket caps, full plastic jackets, bare 209 primer or power stem ignition on any of them. I've never been without some way to shoot regardless of shortages. Also, the 52 DEs are the most gun you can buy for the money if larger than deer game is a possibility - 375 grns @ 1900+ fps up to 535 grains @ 1650 fps (w/ RS or 777). I've got an email from Knight Tech stating any weight bullet the twist will stabilize is safe to shoot with max recommended powder charges.

I also have two CVA Optima V2 pistols. They're my favorite handguns plus the most convenient and fun to shoot. I'm sure CVA rifles are the same. The only thing I'd change with CVAs is they have a max bullet weight of 400 grains - again if bigger game might be on the menu (Full disclosure: I grew up reading all Elmer Keith wrote). I love CVAs & Knights; IMO it's just personal preference and you can't go wrong with either one. I'll be keeping both so long as I can pull a trigger.
Well now you've muddied the waters! 🤣

Pardon my ignorance, what are DEs?

Latest posts

Back