First NULA range session...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scienceguy

Reaction score
I finally had the chance to see what my NULA was capable of. The weather was cool (59 degrees at 6:30 am), and my reworked rifle was snapping CCI primers like it was designed to do. Here's the rifle again with my replacement ramrod and spinjag:
NULA003.jpg

After getting the rifle on target at 50 yards, and them some minor shot corrections at 100, here is the first 3 shot group:

NULATarget.jpg

This rifle really likes those bonded shockwaves. I also tested the 275 BE bullet. Groups with that projectile were only 1/4 inch larger. I bet with a little load tinkering, that bullet would shoot just as well. I believe I have a keeper here, as it is more accurate than most of my centerfire rifles. All of my shooting was done with the ramrod mounted under the barrel, just like I would do when hunting. I waited 10 to 15 minutes between shots. The barrel cooled faster than I thought it would. Based on Doohan's ballistic gel research, I think I'm going to use the 250 bonded shockwave for deer. Was the initial expense and having to send the rifle back to Mel to correct the primer problem worth it? Absolutely! Recoil was much milder than I thought it would be, and it sure is nice to carry that NULA instead of having to lug my old heavy Savage!

Nice Shooting! I had the same results with my first range session with the 275 BE. Might try the shockwaves today if I get out. They are great guns aren't they! :D

Take care,

Dan

I am happy for you scienceguy that you finally got the primer issue resolved. Mine was just mailed today. Melvin was having Fed. Ex. pick it up, but I have had one problem after the other w/Fed. Ex. pick up service, so I just mailed it via USPS. Hopefully will have mine back by this weekend.

Great shooting. What ramrod and what length did you use?

CORVAIR, I have a 23" XS power rod on my nula. It is 23 inches long, and it is about 1/4" shy (short) of being flush with the barrel.

Cary

Corvair,
My ramrod is also 23 inches long, but 2 1/8 inches of that length is the spinjag unit. I wanted my rod to stick out from the end of the barrel just a bit to make it easier to extract when trying to load quickly in the field. When loading in the field, my speed loaders have a recess that the ramrod fits into to make a T handle for pushing the bullet down the barrel. At the range I use a 25 inch power rod. I had the rod made for the gun by these guys:

http://rmcsports.com/catalog.htm

It is solid, anodized black aluminum. The guys at RMC have a variety of materials and will custom make a ramrod of different diameters and lengths to your order. I called them to make sure they had the diameter I needed to match the NULA rod diameter that Melvin ships with the gun. I hope you get your gun back soon. All the waiting to get things right was a pain, but it sure was worth it!

Looks like a keeper! I wish I could afford one, I didn't even know Mel was making a muzzle loader until I joined this forum.

Latest posts

Back