First Shots Down Range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a good alternative to the Thors. I ask because I shot them a few years ago preparing for a Colorado hunt but found that ordering and such was cumbersome with them not being available at times. They shot well. I'm not opposed to going back to bore size bullets especially if they perform like a Barnes bullet.

Hammer em with a Thor.
At two bucks a pop? Wow 🤩 I’m sure they work well but frankly they don’t really do anything a good lead bullet will do. Ok ok, higher BC, and they can be driven faster so I’m sure that’s attractive to many guys. But if you love to shoot it seems like it might become prohibitively expensive to do so. It’s nice to have choices…

At two bucks a pop? Wow 🤩 I’m sure they work well but frankly they don’t really do anything a good lead bullet will do. Ok ok, higher BC, and they can be driven faster so I’m sure that’s attractive to many guys. But if you love to shoot it seems like it might become prohibitively expensive to do so. It’s nice to have choices…
I agree. I wouldn't ever use these just to punch paper with. For that I use the good old xtp's. Some shooters believe a solid copper bullet will hold up better if you contact bone.

What is a good alternative to the Thors. I ask because I shot them a few years ago preparing for a Colorado hunt but found that ordering and such was cumbersome with them not being available at times. They shot well. I'm not opposed to going back to bore size bullets especially if they perform like a Barnes bullet.
Thor does make a one size fits all. The cuping has slits up the sides to allow for expansion in any size bore. They are called Lightning bullets. Muzzle-Loader.com has all Thor bullets in stock.

Not much, no.

Finding the answer is easy............ Load a rifle with 777 powder, and a bullet in a sabot; shoot the rifle. Usually before one can reload the rifle the barrel needs to be swabbed.

Next, load same rifle with Blackhorn powder, same bullet, same sabot: shoot the rifle. One will be able to reload and shoot the rifle maybe 40, 50 times without swabbing.............
I've shot my Whitelighting using 777 up twenty times at the range and no swabbing required.

To the original poster.....T7 granular and Bh209 shoot very much alike except for the crud ring, so here's what I have done for the last year plus with things being hard to find with covid shortages every where. I'll note that I have plenty of bullets and plenty of primers as well as 209 powder, but I take T7 granular to the range and hunt with the BH209. T7 is easier to find and with identical powder charges [I weigh all of mine, both powders] the T7 will be identical on paper or deer out to at least 175 yards for me. I have more time while I'm at the club shooting so taking the time to clean the barrel after every shot is a non issue when I use the T7. In the field I need the easy second shot loading that BH209 offers plus its a far more water/moisture tolerant powder.

Prior to hunting any of the three guns I might take afield I shoot each at the range with it's corresponding bullet/sabot/powder charge using the BH209 powder to serve as a proof that things are still up to snuff accuracy-wise and without a hitch they are. Find some BH209 and shoot your gun in and when you land on an accurate load switch to an identical charge of T7, measured the same way you measure the BH209. Now proof that load. You'll very likely be very, very close. Now shoot the less expensive powder during play time and save the more expensive and more agreeable BH209 powder for the hunting where ease of a second shot loading and lack of moisture issues are most important.

I am officially Impressed!

Last time out I was off about 8" right. I made a huge adjustment, 40 clicks or so, made my last shot and it was almost perfect. Today I went out with 10 charges and this was the result. The top group was 6 shots (XTP 240gn, Green Sabot), 5 are one hole. The lower group were the last 4 shots (XTP 230gn, Black M&P Sabot).

These are at 50 yards from a rest. The 240gn were pushed by 60gn by vol/ 46.8 by weight, 230 70gn/54.6.

This time I swabbed 2 wet and 2 dry patches between shots and after 5 shots I cleaned a bit more and fired a primer before I continued. The POI was slightly higher on the last 5 and that may have been me holding different but either way this is awesome for the second time out!

Next outing will be 100 yards.

This dog will hunt!

Attachments

• IDPA.jpg
    IDPA.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 8
Back