First year muzzleloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmreinke

Reaction score
Just got a CVA Kodiak .45 caliber before hunting season, shot a few times at 100 yards with 150 grains of pellets and a 225 grain powerbelt aerotip. Shot about a foot to the right. Shot a few times with 100 grains of pellets, same bullet, shot about 6 inches to the right. Anybody have any experience or suggestions about other bullet/powder combinations. I shot a nice buck from about 15-20 yards that went through, dropped the deer on the spot, but I'm just wondering about if I get to the 100-150 yard range.

RMREINKE:

First off I would Like to welcome you to the FORUM it is good to have you here with us.

I am NOT a big PB fan at all they are accu. but 9 out of 10 times they will fail you on game IMO.

Becouse you are shooting a 45 cal I would SHOOT 100 gr of powder and try some of these bullets they have a good track recored.

Barnes EXPANDER - MZ 195 gr.
TC SHOCKWAVE OR HORNADY SST - 200 GR

OR IF YOU LIKE THE CONICAL STYLE BUULETS

HORNADY GPH - 285GR
TC MAXI - BALL - 240 GR

GOOD LUCK & SAFE SHOOTING

RON G.

Thanks for the advice, should I shoot 100 grains of pellets or loose powder and do you think pellets are the way to go?

Welcome to the forum. It is good to have you here.

I know very little about a .45 caliber inline. But if I owned one, I would be shooting one of the following; a Barnes all copper Expander, Nosler HG Partition, Shockwave in as heavy a weight as I could find, and last a Parker Ballistic Extreme if they even make one for the .45 caliber.

As for powder, shoot loose. I would try both Pyrodex RS and Triple Se7en 2f. Start at 80 grains and work up, from there. If you still have accuracy with 110 grains of powder that would be more then enough power to do 150 yard shooting. Put one of them in bullets in the right place, and let it do the work for you.

I have hunted with powerbelts, they are accurate, but I have never shot at an animal with them in the field. So I do not have any field experience with them. Normally I hunt with a patched roundball in a traditional rifle. It seems the only time I see deer is when I have one of them.

But I am going to fool them tomorrow. I have my Renegade with a 1X scope on it, and a Green Mountain Barrel with a 1:28 twist, shooting 120 grains of loose Graf's & Sons 2f black powder and a .430 diameter 300 grain Hornady XTP in a crushed rib sabot. Most my shots will be 50 yards or less, so they will see that old Renegade, figure they are safe and come out. How's that for evil logic.. :D :D :D

Thanks for the tips, I've heard different opinions about powder, seems to be a preference thing.
All I know is I would not want to be on the receiving end of what you will shooting tomorrow, yikes!

Latest posts

Back