Flintlock shooting off the Bog Pod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
GORGEOUS TODAY! Warmed up to 60* with a very slight breeze, sun beating down HOT to the point you got itchy. Felt great to get out shooting!

I wanted to practice some hunting situation shooting and being out of percussion caps ( Just got a couple tins today from the local store) I took out my Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal Flintlock.

70gr Olde Eynsford, .020" patch lubed with Frontier's Anti-Rust & patch lube, .490" round balls and 1/2" x 5/8" French Amber flints. Man that load was great!

I used the bog pod that I got for Christmas and it works! I mainly use it as a camera tripod, but the shooting rest attachment works nice and is easy to change out. I could get used to using this for hog hunting or when I plan on deer hunting over water holes.

Shot 70 yards using the bog pod for the rifle and my right leg for arm support.

First 2 shots and then the rest for a total of 8 shots.
img_8619.jpg

img_8618.jpg

Now the cool stuff! I ended up pulling both balls out ( only 1 ball pictured ) you could see the patch material, where it had embedded into the soft lead. Remember, I load the super rough side of the patch towards the rifling because it does a better job cleaning the fouling while I reload.

img_8620.jpg

Look closely and you'll see the patch weave, pressed into the soft lead ball. That sucker really grips the ball! These are the Bridgers Best patches.
img_8622.jpg

img_8621.jpg

Just a simple pic of the bog pod. I like it, but I'll need to do a lot more shooting off it to decide if its worth carrying around in the mountains on a hunt.
img_8623.jpg

8) 

That's a great group off the sticks. I have the bipod and the tripod and those  sticks are great. I use the bipod in the ground blind.
I tip my hat to you sir. :hats off: 

Ray.................

I have a couple of monopods to use in a ground blind but thought I needed something more stable for my granddaughter to use. I priced the various shooting tripods and was shocked by the price they wanted. In some cases they were almost $200. I got an old camera tripod that I paid $11 for and fitted it with a bent 1" wide piece of galvanized strapping bent in the shape of a "U" that I got at the local Ace Hardware. I covered it with some foam tape designed to seal toppers to truck beds and had a shooting tripod for about $18.

It works fine and I save at least $80. These "shooting tripods" are a total rip-off.

That's mighty-fine shooting FG !   

Whether I carry one of my pods in the field depends on distance and the availability of natural rests. Hunting landscape where "longer" shots with no trees or other to rest aside/upon is when I will definitely tote one.

--------------------------------------------------------
p.s. That's amazing how that patch dented the ball.  :face:

I bought Pam one of these rest, she uses it for crossbow, pistol and muzzleloader hunting. Always has it with her.

I just bought the 2 legged model bog pod cld-2, haven't used it yet. I used a primos bipod last season and it worked good but it isn't as sturdy as the bog pod. I like the leg adjustment latches on the bog pod too, I agree they are expensive though.

patocazador said:
 These "shooting tripods" are a total rip-off.
I agree. I have also repurposed old camera tripods. 
Yes, it would be nice. I am just too stubborn to be skinned that hard 
for the minor improvement in equipment.

Latest posts

Back