FPB expansion with tip cut off

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Asked Hornady about expansion of the FPB bullets with the tip cut off. This is the reply I got:

"We tested the bullet with the tip on the bullet and with it cut off
flat. Both expanded well and looked identical when we recovered them.
We have been in contact and will try to get this changed for next year. "

I some times wonder if the people that make some of these laws have any idea of what they should be doing. Lee

txhunter58
Excellant report . Thank You for passing that info on. Lee

Lee 9 said:
I some times wonder if the people that make some of these laws have any idea of what they should be doing. Lee

I wonder too... God forbid you have the advantage of making the most humane shot you can and dropping the animal quickly. ML laws in Colorado has the DOW talking out both sides of their mouth.

how come

Is this bullet that amazing that even w/ the tip cut off it's accuracy and down range puch are worth manipulating it? Is there not another bullet that can do what is needed w/out all the shennanigans?

Re: how come

Bucker said:
Is this bullet that amazing that even w/ the tip cut off it's accuracy and down range puch are worth manipulating it? Is there not another bullet that can do what is needed w/out all the shennanigans?

In my opinion, yes! It appears to be a step up in terminal performance from powerbelts. In other words, it is not simply another pure lead conical but built more like a new generation bullet. It should reliably expand, but not come apart when it hits something harder or is pushed harder/faster.

AND.............after 4 years of trying to find a conical other than powerbelts that will fly straight out of my Omega, it is the only one that I have found. The QLA on T/C rifles is not kind to normal conicals (which is all I shoot). However, the flaired rear portion of the FPB seems to compensate.

If there is another conical out there that can do what this one does, I have not found it, and I have tried pretty much all of the available ones.

Bucker
Absolutely, it is the flattest shooting most accurate conical, as well as having a bit harder lead that mushrooms and so far appears to have a combination of expansion and penetration that is unmatched as well as shooting minute of angle with heavy loads which few conicals do.
I am impatiently waiting for some reports on game, testing is fine but the proof is in the pudding. Lee

Latest posts

Back