FPJ or Bare 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knight used the Primer Adapter for along time before Lehigh came along. The new Knight Bare Primer bolt wasn't a happening prior to the arrival of the Mountaineer Series. At that time Gordy and possibly Tom envisioned the new bolt with an eye on the Savage Smokeless bolt.

1602445555541.png

Last edited:
Knight used the Primer Adapter for along time before Lehigh came along. The new Knight Bare Primer bolt wasn't a happening prior to the arrival of the Mountaineer Series. At that time Gordy and possibly Tom envisioned the new bolt with an eye on the Savage Smokeless bolt.

View attachment 10723
I like the Knight design. But the one I bought was constantly getting the primers stuck in it. I was always fighting to get the spent primers out. I didnt want to have that going on when hunting. Mine probably just has a burr or something that could be fixed.

I like the Knight design. But the one I bought was constantly getting the primers stuck in it. I was always fighting to get the spent primers out. I didnt want to have that going on when hunting. Mine probably just has a burr or something that could be fixed.

Normally that is a pretty easy fix. What is probably happening is the primer assembly itself is being forced back by back pressure driving the entire assembly to the rear up against the face of the bolt. When the assembly hits the face of the bolt the the energy forces the heavier primer out of the battery cup and into or against the hammer hole in the bolt. Normally, lifting the bolt and pulling the trigger will cause the hammer to drive the primer back into the battery cup and allow the primer to fall out of the bolt.

209-Primer-Parts.jpg

The possible 'Fix' is to correct the headspace within the primer pocket by possibly changing to a longer primer such as a Winchester W-209 or shimming the primer pocket in the breech plug.

Shoot! I should asked first is the primer sticking in the breech plug and you can not extract it or is it failing to fall out of the bolt face when you tip the rifle?

He might have run into the "bur thing" a few people had with some of the bare primer bolts. A Dremel grinding bit in a pin vin by hand takes a few minutes to smooth it out if you dont have the Dremel tool. Just be really careful or use the polishing bits instead of grinders in the tool.

I believe it is the 'burr thing'. It is the Knight bare primer bolt. The primers stick in the bolt face. Ive recocked and pulled the trigger to dislodge them but it also happens when i would just cycle a new primer without firing. I considered sending it back to Knight but never did. This winter i will see if i can cure it with the dremel bit.

Them bit sets are cheap on Amazon but they are cheap quality. Good enough to chuck up in a electric driver or drill for quick fixes. I use the polishing bits on primer pockets too.

Yep! the burr thing! You got it Scotty!

Happens sometimes and its really hard to see it. Only takes a couple minutes to smooth out a tiny bur. I really have not heard of too many people complain about it though in quite some time. If its under the lip that holds the primer, just use a piece of fine grit Emory cloth. Probably need to fold it in half to thicken it up.

Happens sometimes and its really hard to see it. Only takes a couple minutes to smooth out a tiny bur. I really have not heard of too many people complain about it though in quite some time. If its under the lip that holds the primer, just use a piece of fine grit Emory cloth. Probably need to fold it in half to thicken it up.

Yep... I just use one of Terry's paper board finger nail files to smooth it out really doesn't take much. But she does complain about it! me using one of her files :) When she catches me!

Latest posts

Back