frustrated

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im using federal 209a, and yes i have shot this load at range out to 100 yards never an issue. went to pull load this morning and no powder no bullet. i am thinking that the cast bullet must have moved off the powder and it just plopped out the barrel im going to look for it today. my breech plug was clear i popped off a couple of primers with patch in barrel and had a brnt patch so everything is working properly. i am going to put a veggie wad over powder then wool. i guess that im going to rethink cast bullets over bh209??

im using federal 209a, and yes i have shot this load at range out to 100 yards never an issue. went to pull load this morning and no powder no bullet. i am thinking that the cast bullet must have moved off the powder and it just plopped out the barrel im going to look for it today. my breech plug was clear i popped off a couple of primers with patch in barrel and had a brnt patch so everything is working properly. i am going to put a veggie wad over powder then wool. i guess that im going to rethink cast bullets over bh209??
Do what I did 060 poly wad DONE

There are three reasons that BH209 is so popular. Higher velocity, the fact that it isn't necessary to swab between shots, and it doesn't absorb moisture from the atmosphere as easily. The downside is that it is harder to ignite. Unless you're shooting long distance, the extra velocity isn't needed. If you're swabbing between shots, there is no advantage there. In my experience, once a load is packed in a rifle, it doesn't absorb moisture. A 420 gr. bullet will kill a deer at any reasonable velocity. Maybe you should start shooting 777. It is half the price of BH209.

I have had misfires in my Accura using BH 209. I've never had a misfire with a #11 cap behind 777 powder.

If your bullet falls out of the barrel, it is too loose.

There are three reasons that BH209 is so popular. Higher velocity, the fact that it isn't necessary to swab between shots, and it doesn't absorb moisture from the atmosphere as easily. The downside is that it is harder to ignite. Unless you're shooting long distance, the extra velocity isn't needed. If you're swabbing between shots, there is no advantage there. In my experience, once a load is packed in a rifle, it doesn't absorb moisture. A 420 gr. bullet will kill a deer at any reasonable velocity. Maybe you should start shooting 777. It is half the price of BH209.

I have had misfires in my Accura using BH 209. I've never had a misfire with a #11 cap behind 777 powder.

If your bullet falls out of the barrel, it is too loose.
Black powder is what me and my guns prefer over any sub , but I guess if I ever run out (UNLIKELY) and unable to replace (never happen ) see 1st ( ) I guess I'd make it !/Ed

Are you sure when you cleaned it some cleaner didn't go into your breech plug and did you fire a couple primers before loading I have had that happen at the range Before loading for a hunt I always fire a couple primers with a patch on my jag the patch should be burned By firing a couple primers will not affect your accuracy and they won't cause any corrosion leaving the gun loaded

Last year Walley World had 777 after the season reduced to $7.00 and bottle I bought 5 I have used 777 ever since it came out I swab between shots always when hunting that first shot is from a clean barrel When I get home a very good cleaning is done then after firing a couple primers I am ready to load My rifle never failed to go bang

When i got back into muzzleloader hunting, i didn't have a scoped rifle. Friend loaned me a very nice Knight rifle. Bought someone's heavy conicals: Was walking along and looked down in time to the conical fall out.

black horn needs a breech plug (special dia. hole) that can send fire to the powder. i like 75gr. BH with a .45 cal.
230ball ammo and most if not all primers go off with a big report BOOM! deer drop with in 50yd. or less.
blackhorn 209 is the best powder i have found. i use a sabot/.45 in my .50 best to try different sabot with bullet
to get the right fit. i can shoot over 20 rounds and never clean my barrel with good accuracy!

Will ordering an over sized mold and sizing them to be tight in a bore will this work I have no idea what 40-1alloy is up till now I bought bullets .503 and are snug in my bore

Back