game loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmycrockett85

Reaction score
is it safe/legal to shoot "shot" from a rifled barrel? i own 2 .50 cal rifles, an inline and a flintlock. i often thought it would be nice to small game with a ML but didnt know if it was safe or how to even do it. shot size, shot weight, load size, procedure, legality and all that good stuff. i live and hunt in PA, the rule book states .45cal or smaller for small game. i was assuming this meant shot size

Better check with your DNR. Caliber more than likely is the barrel not the projectile. Even a 45cal will have way more power than a 45acp handgun. Headshots would be an absolute must if you want any meat left. Some people "bark" squirrels. You dont actually shoot the squirrel. You shoot the tree bark right by its head. The concussion and debris from the impact will often kill the squirrel.

i guess im asking this wrong, umm like a shotgun. so say an ounce of lead fowling shot and 80gr load. im just trying to learn as much as possible. everything i know i have learned in the past 2 years. taught by my uncle who has been muzzleloading 30plus years. but alot of his advice is by the book and he does not like to expand on things. "thats just how it is" is what i get alot

I've never tried bird shot from a rifled barrel but most will say it doesn't work. The shot will spin up from the rifling and be flung every which way so you wont have any pattern.

Snoop around a bit and you may find some .45 cal or .50 cal shot cups. Seat the cup on the powder then add the shot and cover with a couple of thin over-powder wads to hold the shot in place. When fired the column spins with the shot inside and drops away after leaving the barrel. Patterns are so-so using these shot columns. I tried some in a .45 with fair luck plinking ruffed grouse at very short ranges.

is this a legal practice???Arms & Ammunition
1) Manually operated and semiautomatic 10-gauge or less
shotguns with a capacity of no more than 3 shells in the
chamber and magazine combined; 2) Manually operated
and semi-automatic rifles and manually operated handguns
22-caliber rimfire or less; 3) Air-guns for small game in calibers
from .177 to .22, for woodchucks at least 22-caliber, that propel a single-projectile or bullet. BB ammunition is prohibited.
4) Muzzleloading rifles and handguns 40-caliber or less, and
shotguns 10-gauge or less; and 5) long, recurve and compound
bows and arrows, and crossbows. Single-projectile ammunition, or fine shot pellets no larger than No. 4 lead, bismuth-tin,
or tungsten-iron, or other approved non-toxic shot or No. 2
steel. Note: Rifle and handgun caliber restrictions do not apply
when hunting woodchucks. this is from my state. if im using shot, does that make my rifle a fowler? im not sure how that works. otherwise im thinking its time for a new ML purchase just for smaller game

I read that as meaning that your .50 cal muzzleloader would be legal for small game as long as you were using the stated size of non-toxic shot.
It would not be legal for small game if using a single projectile.

thats how i read it as well. just so its a shot cup with no.4 shot or smaller? what would be a safe load /shot combo

Your 50cal though is a rifle and not a shotgun. That "technicality" could pop up if you were stopped and checked. All the agent can see is caliber and not gauge so as far as he is concerned it will be a rifle. You can load a shotgun with slugs but its still a shotgun. So unless you run into an agent who is willing to listen and a way to prove you are using shot....i dont think you would like the outcome if you were checked.

technically, is not a word that i plan on using with enforcement. i will be purchasing a smaller rifle or a shotgun. thank you

Latest posts

Back