Genesis Range Report with Barnes and Scorpions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
A beautiful day today, in the seventies.. but Windy. Still I mentioned in a post to Turkey that I wanted to try the Genesis with the Barnes 250 grain MZ Expanders and the Harvester 260 grain funnel nose Scorpion bullets and different sabots.

I carried the target back to the 100 yard marker and then returned to gather my gear. I had the following..

Remington Genesis Stainless Steel .50 caliber Rifle
Nikon Omega 3-9x40 scope with no BDC
Graf's and sons 2f black powder
Winchester W209 primers
Barnes 250 grain MZ Expanders included with a red in color sabot
Harvester Scorpion Funnel nose 260 grain projectiles in .452 with Harvester Crushed Rib sabots.
MMP HPH 24 sabots
Simple Green for swabbing

I got my haul to the bench and all set up and to be sure I was 100 yards I used my Bushnell Trophy Sport range finder. It read 110, 108, 107 so I set the figure at 107 yards

I started off swabbing the barrel with Simple Green and popped three primers. I then loaded 115 grains of Graf's 2f black powder. The reason for this is in the past these Barnes shot best with 110 grains of Pyrodex RS. I figured 115 grains of Graf's would be about equal.

Genesis036-1.jpg

From shooting the Genesis recently, I knew it was sighted in dead on at 75 yards for the Scorpions. When I fired the first round of the Barnes I walked down to the target and noted it. I then walked all the way back and said.. I own a four wheeler.. and got it out.

I then shot 2-4 with the same RED sabot that came with the rifle and the 115 grains of black powder. Actually the 2-4 group is not all that bad, other then the fact it is not in the bulls eye. The group actually measured one and a quarter inches. Not counting #1 which was on a clean barrel, and I never hunt from a clean barrel. I was swabbing with Simple Green.

The RED sabots supplied loaded stiff but easy. Not a real chore to load. So I swabbed the barrel clean and let it sit while I made notes of what I had discovered to this point.

I then switched over the .452 MMP HPH 24 sabots and shot three of the Barnes MZ expanders. Shots 5&6 were in the same group basically and again a good tight group going. Then when I loaded #7 if it is possible to slip a clunker sabot.. I got it. The normal MMP 24 loaded firm and smooth, #7 almost fell down the barrel. They came out of the same package. But when I loaded it I was sure something was not right. The shot proved that my suspicions were correct. It hit far outside the group.

I would have shot more of them but my supply of them is about gone, and I was waiting for the UPS man to bring me new gun powder to shoot. So I swabbed the bore clean and changed over the Harvester Scorpion 260 grain funnel nose.

Genesis046-1.jpg

I then dropped the charge five grains to 110 grains of Graf's powder. Again.. at 75 yards these are dead bull. So I suspected they would hit low. Shots A-B kind of proved me right. Those three can be covered with a quarter. Under an inch. And low like I suspected.

Genesis047-1-1.jpg

I then shot D&E. D was my fault and I knew it the second I hit the trigger. I rushed the shot, the scope came back and hit me in the brim of the hat, I just was not ready for it. E I wanted to see if I could compensate for the drop and sneak on into the bulls eye. Well it was close.

So there you have it so far. 107 yards testing two bullets out of the Genesis Turkey. Over all I was pleased with the way the bullets hit. I could adjust the scope if I wanted to shoot barnes. But I think I will just hunt with the Scorpions.

cayuga

Thanks for the detailed report. I need to get back to the farm and do so more shooting, but it is hard not to go hunting instead...

Thank you do you know what sabot that red one is with barnes. My gun seems to be a little more picking but THANKS for you time effort and info!

If I had to GUESS I would say its a MMP. But I really can't swear to that. Sabotloader might know. My Genesis is not too fussy and it really handled the Scorpions real nice. I have three more of the Barnes I want to try with some new powder and some Nosler Sabots.

Will try the 300 scorpion pt soon....new baby takes time! Let me know how the 300 pt shoots for you. Also found a new never shot genesis for 125 with scope rings mossy oak break up. Send me pm if interested.

Thanks GM54. Unlike you and sabotloader.. if it's not listed on the package or is a Harvester Crushed Rib I normally have to guess at what sabot I am shooting. I do suspect the inside base of these red sabots are a little different, just from the way the Barnes seated in them. Does that make sense?

Its possible, i know the Barnes 54x50 red sabot is a tiny bit different than the MMP 54x50 purple sabot. The powder cup is noticeably different on the ones ive compared so im sure Barnes has enough influence and ordering quota cash for MMP to make some just for Barnes.

Latest posts

Back