Getting Ready To Buy Accessories

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy everything I need to go with my new CVA Optima II with a 26" barrel. It will be used for elk and deer hunting in Colorado. I should add that I am a very experienced hunter. I have just always hunted with a bow or a rifle. My friend is also new to Muzzleloading. Last year was his first year. He is using Hodgdon Triple seven FFFG powder with 295 powerbelt copper 295 grain made by CVA. Does this sound like a decent powder and bullet to use for elk and deer hunting?

I am open to any and all positive advice.

Lot's more questions to follow. Thanks for you input and patience.

No powder pellets, no sabots and no scope. That's all I know for sure. I also know I want to shoot the exact same for deer that I shoot for elk. Just like with my bow, every arrow and every broad head I shoot are the exactly the same. Just keeps things easier that way.

If you can't shoot sabots I would look Into Thor bullets or hornady fpb bullets, they are full bore like power belts but the performance is 2nd to none, powerbelts are known for very poor performance on game, accurate yea but the terminal performance ruins it for powerbelts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steelheader323 said:
If you can't shoot sabots I would look Into Thor bullets or hornady fpb bullets, they are full bore like power belts but the performance is 2nd to none, powerbelts are known for very poor performance on game, accurate yea but the terminal performance ruins it for powerbelts

I agree. Personally, I wouldn't touch powerbelts for hunting rounds. As mentioned, the Thor's or FPB's would be a much better choice imo.

I would also look at getting a BH209 Breechplug for your rifle, and shooting BH209 powder. With 209 ignition, its hard to beat. No swabbing between shots, no crud ring, excellent power, very consistent, less corrosive. T7 is a good powder too, but you will deal with the crud ring and swabbing for sure. Whatever powder you choose to go with, cleaning your rifle thoroughly the same day you fire it will keep it in excellent condition.

https://www.westernpowders.com/blackhorn209?product_id=147

I have some Hornady FPB 350 grainers left over from my trials. I will send them to you if you like for the cost of shipping. Basically a flat rate box. Then if you like them I have two unopened packs.

The BH209 breech plug and the blackhorn powder looks like the way to go.

Hornet22savage, I'm going to do some research (probably start another thread) on what grain and type of bullet to use for elk and deer. If I decide on 350 grains, I might take you up on your generous offer.

Thank you guys for all the help!

I have shot the 350 grains fpb from both my encore and from my invest arm sidelock and both shot them very well, checkout rons bullet testing on this site, he has tested most of the bullets available for muzzleloaders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure your cap doesn't have to be open to weather or that you have to use a cap . Most western states are caps open to weather.

Good Shocks And Four Wheel Drive

Back