Getting Started in AZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Albuquerque. I used to live in Tucson. I agree, Yuma is too hot to shoot now. Loose powder is cheaper and with 777 it gets better velocity. Also, you may find that shooting 95 gr. or 105 gr. of powder gives you a better group. eBay sells powder charge tubes for storing pre-measured powder, so it is just as fast to reload. I swab my barrel between shots, so my 10th bullet goes into the same group as my first shot.

I hunted the AZ HAM (Handgun, Archery, Muzzleloader) hunt for years with a bow and a Contender Pistol. For Coues and javelina, a light bullet (250 gr.) will do just fine. Lots of folks use the Hornady XTP with good results. For elk, I recommend much heavier bullets. I use 405 gr. .45-70 bullets with very good results. Check out Harvester and MMP for sabots if your bullets don't sit tight in your bore, or are too hard to load. I use both for different applications.

Welcome from Albuquerque. I used to live in Tucson. I agree, Yuma is too hot to shoot now. Loose powder is cheaper and with 777 it gets better velocity. Also, you may find that shooting 95 gr. or 105 gr. of powder gives you a better group. eBay sells powder charge tubes for storing pre-measured powder, so it is just as fast to reload. I swab my barrel between shots, so my 10th bullet goes into the same group as my first shot.

I hunted the AZ HAM (Handgun, Archery, Muzzleloader) hunt for years with a bow and a Contender Pistol. For Coues and javelina, a light bullet (250 gr.) will do just fine. Lots of folks use the Hornady XTP with good results. For elk, I recommend much heavier bullets. I use 405 gr. .45-70 bullets with very good results. Check out Harvester and MMP for sabots if your bullets don't sit tight in your bore, or are too hard to load. I use both for different applications.
Great advice, thank you!

Latest posts

Back