Goex 2f

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rlsmith

Reaction score
I used Goex 2 f powder for the first time this past weekend and have to say I was very impressed with it. The reason I have not tried it before was I couldn't find it close to where I live and everything I heard it was so dirty. And before anyone jumps in here and says you can order on internet I know that but I don't have money for that if someone can afford that great I can't. I used it in 5 different rifles 50,54,58 cleaning to me was no different than 777 I always use warm water and dish soap worked great ldaholewis was a great help with all this just feels great to be able to drive 35 minutes to buy it really looking forward to finding loads for my rifles in all the calibers I have.

Goex is AWESOME powder :yeah: It’s hard to shoot a Substitute after using Real Black. I just Tried Pyrodex P again in my .50 Cal the last outing with my new Bullet, That nipple has been shot quite a bit so i figured it would work to reliably ignite the Pyro P? NOPE! The first shot (Cold Clean Bore) was a NASTY Hangfire. Just in case the Pyrodex failed me, I brought along 5 Pre weighed charges of Swiss 2F, Ignition was INSTANT as usual with Real Black, I am Fortunate and Thankful to have Easy access To Most brands, and all Grades of Real Blackpowder. In my Humble opinion Pyrodex P is GARBAGE, I wouldn’t advise it to Anyone. But if you are in a “Have To” Situation, Maybe try a Flush Out nipple? :lol: Basically you need to Ruin a Nipple by opening it WAY up in order to Reliably ignite Pyrodex, I’m not willing to do that. I would NEVER trust Anything that finicky on a Hunt

45cal said:
I agree it is hard to beat black on ignition

Real Blackpowder is definitely the Way to go :yeah: Pyrodex P has failed miserably the last 2 times i have tried it. And 3 times total out of 4, NOT VERY GOOD ODDS!! It Costed me a Deer with the Rifle i am holding in my Avatar (Idahoron’s Hotrod Hawken Rifle) Hind sight is 20/20, Looking back The morning of the hunt before we loaded Ron’s rifle We SHOULD have pulled the nipple, Blasted air through the Snail, Then a Dry patch or 2 down the Bore, Then a Dry patch Wrapped around a 25-30 Caliber Brush and Pushed in to the Powder Chamber (aka Patented Breech) And turned it several times to dry up any excess oil (had i of known then what i know now that is EXACTLY what i would have done) But what We did was seat a patched jag against the Breech plug shoulder and Popped 2 Caps off, the patch did show a light tinge of burn, It should have went off? A buck crossed an old Logging Road, i bailed out with Ron’s Rifle and Took the Shot, POP..................BOOM, HANGFIRE!! Exactly like my last 2 outings with the Pyro P, When i got home the other day i made sure to get Rid of the 1 full Can of Pyrodex P i had, There will never be anymore of it here. Pyrodex also costed my Dad a Spike bull Elk from a Hangfire

If you don’t have Real Blackpowder available near you, Save up a few dollars and Order it! You will NOT regret it! :yeah: Why trust your hunt to a Garbage powder like Pyrodex? It might go off, and it might not? Real Blackpowder is IMMEDIATE, Just like a Centerfire

I totally agree Lewis I was using triple 7 it went off most of the time but when I got real black powder it goes every time glad I made the switch.

Black is hard to beat for easy ignition. For hunting I will load 777 for the main charge , then spin out the nipple and dribble a few grains of real black into the flash channel , sort of home brew magnum priming, this gives me very reliable ignition

Instead of pulling the nipple to trickle in a few grains, why not make a sort of duplex load. Maybe 5-10 grns of FFG Black first down the bore then drop a slightly reduced main charge of 777. May be more efficient way to load. But if it aint broke...well ya know. I'm going to try that in my MK85 in line.

Harleysboss said:
Instead of pulling the nipple to trickle in a few grains, why not make a sort of duplex load. Maybe 5-10 grns of FFG Black first down the bore then drop a slightly reduced main charge of 777. May be more efficient way to load. But if it aint broke...well ya know. I'm going to try that in my MK85 in line.

That sounds like dipping your Caviar in poop before eating it? I’d rather not try that

Harleysboss said:
That would be simpler but with hunting I am only loading once ( hopefully lol) and like you said it ain’t broke

I bet my neighbors down wind thought the City Sewer had broke!! :lol: A full can of Pyrodex P sprinkled in a line and torched off, i had a hangfire trying to set it off with a lighter! :lol: But she finally got going, The breeze took it over 1 block and through those houses :D

hmpyvyn.jpg

That or they thought you over did it eating those damned peppers you grow!

Rlsmith said:
Lewis that pyro sounds like the worst stuff on the market.

There are many folks that like it, It’s my understanding you can make it reliable by opening up the Flash hole, But personally i am not willing to Bore a Flash Hole out on a Brand New nipple in order to shoot the stuff

Back