Goex to close

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except for APP, Hodgdon has cornered the market on muzzleloader propellant.

The manufacture of black powder is a hazardous operation. There have been seven fires/explosions at that Goex plant since production began in 1997. Maybe managers at Hodgdon decided it was not worth the trouble.

TIMELINE

June, 2021: Fire and explosion at Goex plant.

June 2011: About 1,000 pounds of black powder explode in the Goex corning mill plant. One worker is slightly injured when he slips and falls during the evacuation. Temporary evacuations are ordered in the immediate vicinity.

July 15, 2006: A fire and a "small explosion" cause no injuries at the Goex black powder facility.

Nov. 3, 2004: Goex explosion; no injuries.

Oct. 31, 2001: An explosion at Goex injures two employees and causes $2.5 million in damage.

Jan. 25, 2000: A flash fire and explosion at Goex burn one employee.

Nov. 5, 1998: A worker dies in an explosion at Goex.

Last edited:
I have to wonder just why explosions in the black powder manufacturing plants in the United States are, and historically have been, so common?

I guess the $100,000.00 question is why these types of explosions are not as common in the Swiss black powder plants?

When I Google explosions/accidents in the Swiss black powder factory, I get no immediate hits, unlike with Googling the Goex black powder factory, where multiple hits occur.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is unfortunate, but we still have options, even if it means learning how too, and making our own black powder.

I think it is unfortunate, but we still have options, even if it means learning how too, and making our own black powder.
Problem is if you discuss in here you may get blocked. I imagine the forum owner(s) don't want the liability.

try as you might , doubt if you could make your own as good as goex or OE
I’ve considered making it and spoken with a number of people who are equaling or often surpassing the performance of GOEX. Mostly because they’re using better ingredients, chiefly the charcoal seems very important and GOEX never seemed to be vested in the idea of producing a superior sporting powder. Until they came out with Olde Eynsford.

I started making it back in the Winter, There is quite a LOT to it if you do it right. I ended up Buying a Bunch of Equipment to make it with, I have about everything you can imagine for making it :) I found Cedar Charcoal to burn REALLY FAST. The BIG key is Compressing the Powder to X amount of Pressure, otherwise the Powder has NO power.

Last edited:
Now that I figured how to come up with a retort, I'll be making willow charcoal all winter. I hear that it's good wood to use. Not much cedar around here, except for decorative trees in people's yards.

Just listened to a pod cast of one of the VP at hodgdon. Sounds like they have some people that are interested in buying GOEX, it sounds pretty good but it’s the VP of sales and marketing so he knows how to put a spin on things. Tried adding a link to to the pod cast on YouTube, not sure if the link will work?

Just listened to a pod cast of one of the VP at hodgdon. Sounds like they have some people that are interested in buying GOEX, it sounds pretty good but it’s the VP of sales and marketing so he knows how to put a spin on things. Tried adding a link to to the pod cast on YouTube, not sure if the link will work?

Ahhh! I see! so they’re closing it so that we will have a better and more reliable source of black powder “in the space”…

Aaron Oelger, vp of sales and marketing…. Stuttering and stammering doesn’t give me any warm fuzzies as he’s asking the audience if they have any rich uncles. I’m not exactly sure they’re going to do the right thing.

I was able to buy a pound of graff 2 f (repackaged goex) last one at the club.

Back