Good Deal? Or No Deal?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
White Muzzleloader 98 Roger Raglin limited edtion only 1,000 made Comes with: sling, quick detach scope mounts, Tasco World Class 3-9X40 scope, Fiber Optic iron sights, all tools to dis-assemble, literature and gun case for $450. Is this good deal? Not real familar with the White Muzzleloaders but I know they are quality and want your opinions on them and if the price is reasonable.

Thanks for the suggestion. I check the ad again he does claim it's a model 98, I supposed I should call white rifles myself.

You should probably call Doc himself, I doubt anyone at White Rifles would even know.

I was thinking those were 97s myself. Got a pic? Easy to tell a 97 from a 98.. 98 has the plunger at the back and the 97 has the cocking device on the left side.

Honestly it doesnt sound like THAT bad of a deal. If it were a 97 and in excellent shape, it would be your call. If you could care less about the roger raglin stuff, better deals can be found.

An ultramag comes to mind,... :lol:

whitetailslayer said:
White Muzzleloader 98 Roger Raglin limited edtion only 1,000 made Comes with: sling, quick detach scope mounts, Tasco World Class 3-9X40 scope, Fiber Optic iron sights, all tools to dis-assemble, literature and gun case for $450. Is this good deal? Not real familar with the White Muzzleloaders but I know they are quality and want your opinions on them and if the price is reasonable.

Your information is correct, they did make 1000 Raglin's in a 98. But the other guys are kinda right to except it wasn't the 97 it was the G-Series back in 1994-95 they made 500 of those with Rogers signature.

As far as a good deal or not? That would depend on if it is NIB or fired, and that scope adds nothing to the package IMO. I'd say work on getting it lower if NIB and a lot lower if it has been shot, unless you just have to have a Raglin.

Wow! That is the first I have heard of a Raglin M98... I am by no means an expert... but I have been trying to follow all things White for about 5 years now. Just goes to show that you can always learn something new!

The question now is... Where did those 1,000 Raglin 98's go to?

222222DSC00212-med-large.jpeg

This is the best pic the gentleman has listed. Still not really sure if I should jump on this deal or not. And Agree that scope will be ripped off and a nikon or leupold will be replacing it if I decide to purchase this gun

It isn't gonna shoot any better than a regular 98 just because it has a name etched on the barrel. You're going to shoot it,,right?? Forget the nostalgia and purchase a good 97 or 91. If you just want a "safe queen" ,,,,go for it. 8)

If the rifle is in great shape, that isn't a bad price at all. Besides, it'll yell giminy christmas ! ! hahahahah !! when you make a good shot. ;)

If that is an older World Class, it might even be decent. The rings appear to be Warne Premiers.

Thanks for the info on the Raglin 98s, SMIshooter. I also thought the Raglin SEs were all Whitetails.

That for sale ad is nearly a year old, whitetailslayer, you sure he's still got it?

flatland hunter said:
Wow! That is the first I have heard of a Raglin M98... I am by no means an expert... but I have been trying to follow all things White for about 5 years now. Just goes to show that you can always learn something new!

The question now is... Where did those 1,000 Raglin 98's go to?

Well, let me rephrase that. There were supposed to be 1000 98's, not real sure if they ever got there, if you know what I mean.........and I think you do? I have only seen a picture of one a couple times, so it may very well be more of a collector (as in maybe less than 1000 made) than we think. Like the others say, you could ask DOC if they ever got 1000 of them out there in circulation. I like Roger, but I really wouldn't care to have a rifle with his name on it, unless it was the last M-98 out there. I wouldn't pay any more than what a regular M-98 Elite is going for. On thing is for sure, they aren't making them right now. Maybe soon? I do know they made the 500 G-Series Raglins with the White/Lyman peep sight.

I can't get the pic to come up, can somebody give a link to it?

for sale for a year an not been solded not a good deal1 imo clint

The scope,mounts and rings are worth about $100 so that is $350 for the rifle. Good deal? maybe, not a ripoff thats for sure, The U-M was selling for $299 so a lot of folks are a little spoiled by this close-out price. Try finding one of them U-M's. I have one and want another if anyone knows where there is one? believe me I am looking.
Who is Roger?
Redclub

I have an APOLOGY to make to you guys, I finally got that picture to come up and that is a M-97 for sure. After further investigation, I was able to find the source at IW. I had seen the thumbnail pic of the whole rifle before and never gave it a second thought (OR LOOK). I took it hook-line and sinker :oops: that it was as described. I had seen that picture over a year ago at a couple different places with the description. I knew it wasn't the old G-Series Roger Raglin Signature rifle with the White/Lyman peep sight and the Bell & Carlson stock, cause I nearly bought one of those back in '94 or '95.

I am VERY SORRY for this mis-information on my part, but want you to know I was not trying to deceive you. I am not so sure the person selling it isn't trying to deceive the prospective buyers though. I took the thumbnails and ran them through my Photo Studio and enhanced them. Sure enough it is a M-97 (100%), just like you guys had said. That will be the last time I take a description as being truthful, even though this guy claims it is a M-98 and it clearly is not.

Some features that stand out that verify that it is a 97 are: the receiver is smaller on a 97 (close to barrel diameter), the striker is shorter and larger diameter on the 97, the striker is directly over the front of the trigger guard on a 97 (after enhancing the larger picture it can clearly be seen), on a M-98 the front of the trigger guard is 1.5" behind the rear of the opening in the receiver for the striker, the stock is thicker on a 97 and the wrist and comb are shaped differenty, there is only one ramrod thimble on the rifle in the picture and a M-98 has two.

:oops: :oops: SORRY GUYS, but I took this guy for his word. :oops: :oops: Buyer beware on this one! I think there is a reason there is only thumbnail pics and strategically placed ones at that.

Just goes to show when you think you might know something, you really don't. :oops: Guess I better go back to lurking, instead of putting my foot in my mouth. :oops:

Latest posts

Back