got a project to work on

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strong eagle

Reaction score
bought a banjo for 40 dollars from a friend of mine who picked it up in the black hills for 35 dollars. it was made in 1880 and i have the skills to restore it way beyond it was ever ment to be. neck is perfectly straght.cherry wood which never warps. ill do a little at a time and not only will it look good but play really good. the first thing ill play on it will be train 45. bill monroes group did the best train 45 ive ever heard. its nice to have good things to come ones way sometimes and this was a real nice thing to come my way. a fairbanks cole 5 string banjo made in 1880.

we have talked, ive built or rebuilt several 5 string banjos. it will turn out real nice and will sound really good.

What a great find! A Fairbanks Cole is a genuine classic! At that time (1880's), the banjo was one of the instruments that wealthy women were permitted to play and it became a "parlor" instrument. With a wealthy segment of society seeking instruments, many of the period banjos were nice decorated with pearl inlay and carving. There also were rather plain models, as well.

Here is a magnificent banjo :D :
banjo_10.jpg

The green "head" is a 7up pop bottle. The frets come from the metal support inside of windshield wipers.
Okay. Maybe it isn't so magnificent. :lol: 
Ron

its a fairbanks cole made in the early 1880/s. very similar to a ss stewart with the maple rim and ovwer lay copper nickel overlay. the neck is cherry as most were in those days. very straight with no bow in it. when i took the neck off the rim i saw their was a slim metal bar under the fret board what was very advanced for those days. thats why the neck had no bow in it at all. i cleaned a polished the rim, super glued any cracks. im not gpoing to keep with tradition and make it into a modern 5 string banjo. it will have a modern 11 and 3/8s head. no calve skin head. it will have modern stronger hooks and hook holders. it will have a sterner modern tail piece. it will have 12 to 1 or 14 to one tuners on the peg head as well as the fifth string tuning peg. it will have a carbon graphite  bridge and a rose wood harmonic tone enhancer behind the carbon bridge. it will sound loud and very very clear and good for any style of playing. it has in good shape mandolin style frets that will remain on the fingerboard. im going to have to replace all the lost mother of pearl inlays but that is a slow but easy job. it will become my main squeeze as it is loud and light weight and my blue grass banjo is heavy and medium loud. it was God sent and i will make it better than it was ever ment to be. the first song i will play on it is train 45 which is my most favorite one of all. i play it in g tuneing instead of d tuneing but it sounds like d tuneing which is a better tuneing for that song. go to you tube and see bill monroe/s train 45 by his back up band. i frail it instead of finger pick it but i make it sound like theirs. its called the high lonesome graveyard sound. i frail like doc watson did, simple and hard driving. if you think a white man cant do deep soul music you havent listened to the high grave yard lonesome sound. it will curl your spine in a knot.

Back