Grandparents

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
As some of you young people are dreading going to your grandparents house because you want to be with your friends, let me tell you this and believe it or not. There will come a day when you would give anything to be sitting at that table eating and listening to all the corny stories they are telling.
You want to run with those friends instead of sitting with the best friends you will ever have. The ones who will always have your back. One day you won't have that table to sit, and you will certainly miss it. So, if you still have that family, suck it up and do it because as you get older, that will be the most treasured days of your life!
Blessings!

I was fortunate enough to have all my grandparents until I was in my upper 20’s and 3 of my great grandparents, the last of whom passed away when I was in high school.
My mom gave me a letter last week that my great grandmother Ploof sent to her in 1964 after she’d heard that I’d been born.
I wish I could talk to them all again.

I never knew my grandparents on my fathers side, who’s now 91. I know my moms father for only a few years before his death, and my moms mother for most of my life.

DON’T SAY I CAN GO SEE THEM ANOTHER TIME. It don’t work like that! I wish I could see many of the old timers again!

It is amazing how your perspective on life changes with age. I recently lost my youngest sister and mom (vaccine) and am still in shock. My perspective on my own mortality has been first in mind for a while as i recall each family member who has passed. My other sis has traced our family back to 1308 and with new DNA tracing i found many more relatives i did not know of before.

I was also blessed to know all my Grandparents and I have many great memories of them.
Time goes so fast.
I have 7 grand kids now ranging from 3 to 21 and trying my best to make good memories with them.
May you all be safe

My Grandmother on my Mother's side was the only grandparent I knew. Her husband died in 1953. She was a driving force in my life. Honestly, I never met my dad until I was 43 years old, and even then, he couldn't get out of the bottle long enough to consider a relationship before he died. It wasn't until his funeral that I learned that my dad was one of 13 kids and that I still had 6 aunts/uncles living and 128 cousins, all in east-central Iowa along the Mississippi River border with Illinois. Many of the cousins I stay in touch with yet today.

Ma and I met in college when we both started late in life and between us we have five children and ten grandchildren and three great grandchildren, the most recent a beautiful young lady that we were just recently able to put hands on at 3 weeks of age. Our youngest grand-daughter is the last one in high school as a freshman this fall and is already on the varsity debate team.... not much gets past her. Smart as a whip and I can see her going to law school. All of the other grands are either in college or have graduated college and we stay in touch with most of them regularly.

I was fortunate to live and work on my paternal grandparents' farm for 15 years. Then lucky again to live with and next door to my maternal grandparents for 15 more, and care for them in their last years. Everything they all knew and had done; I wanted to learn and do.

They, their experiences, admonitions and advise are a major part of who I am now. I miss seeing them, but they live on in my thoughts.

There is no one around today who can give me first-hand accounts of daily life in the late 1800s. Grandparents are living and irreplaceable treasures, and in the decades after they are gone, you will think of a thousand questions that you wish you had asked them.

Great thread, thanks ENCORE50A.

Back