GRRW-CA J&S HAWKEN COMPLETED

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
SUBJECT: GRRW-CA J&S HAWKEN COMPLETED

Just received pictures of the newest build; a J&S Hawken using an original GRRW barrel in .58 caliber
(has the jug choking).  Ron Paull did some of his special touches to this one.

finished3.jpg
finished1.jpg
Finished2.jpg

Beautiful rifle.  It will be many rifles down the line before I can build to this quality.  The rifle has two of my favorite features: 1) Full stock,  2) .58 cal.  Wish she was in my possession! :D     By the way: What is referenced "Jug Choking"???

Smokin' Joe said:
Beautiful rifle.  It will be many rifles down the line before I can build to this quality.  The rifle has two of my favorite qualities: 1) Full stock,  2) .58 cal.  Wish she was in my possession! :D     By the way: What is referenced "Jug Choking"???
GRRW purchased their rifling machine from Bill Large (an old machine used for .50 caliber machine gun barrels) converted to making muzzleloading barrels by Bill. Now after rebuilding the machine GRRW could make their own barrels. After the first few barrels and getting use to how the machine operated they made a mistake when rifling one barrel. On the last cut the reamer jumped a few inches from the end of the barrel before being removed. Doc White was called to look at this swell per say near the muzzle, he said "breech it and lets see how it shoots". It shot as good or better than expected. "Plumb Center" was born using the new idea of a choked barrel like a shotgun bore. Doc sponsored through his business GRRW a team that used these barrels in competition on a National level, setting records every meet they attended. It wasn't long before they were selling just barrels as everyone wanted a "Plumb Center" barrel for their comp guns.

The new sales (barrel business) started from a mistake when first making their own barrels. :Red tup:

Doc has invented number of rifle building jigs as well as other tools for gun building to even one's used in the medical field (he still works 25 hours a week at the hospital at age 82). He has many patents on a number of different things, never stops designing or trying different ideas to improved the way things are done. His tooling and jigs in his shop cut the time by half in getting a rifle in the "white" stage, then its elbow grease for the finishing work.  :bow:

conner said:
GRRW purchased their rifling machine from Bill Large (an old machine used for .50 caliber machine gun barrels) converted to making muzzleloading barrels by Bill. Now after rebuilding the machine GRRW could make their own barrels. After the first few barrels and getting use to how the machine operated they made a mistake when rifling one barrel. On the last cut the reamer jumped a few inches from the end of the barrel before being removed. Doc White was called to look at this swell per say near the muzzle, he said "breech it and lets see how it shoots". It shot as good or better than expected. "Plumb Center" was born using the new idea of a choked barrel like a shotgun bore. Doc sponsored through his business GRRW a team that used these barrels in competition on a National level, setting records every meet they attended. It wasn't long before they were selling just barrels as everyone wanted a "Plumb Center" barrel for their comp guns.
I can sure testify as a user that it works!  My 58 Hawken is the most accurate ML I've been around or owned, even after it's clear the previous owner did a lot of shooting.

Kinda interesting to develop loads for. A bare .575 ball sits on the muzzle and won't drop. A bare .570 ball hangs on the slightest imperfection.  It's not till you use a .562 that you can start with any reasonable effort a ball patched with .018 ticking. Yet you get it half way down the bore and it virtually falls to the breech under the weight of the rod, it's so loose. Never any threat to migrate off the powder while carried, and it certainly must "bump up" to fit the bore on firing.

The above hawken is mine Ron built both of my grrw-ca guns both part of a set and engraved alike. The first a trapper pistol tp-01 (1of2) and the j&s hawken h02 (2of2) the pistol is a .58 cal as well but does not have a grrw barrel it has a rice barrel we were going to use a grrw rifle barrel that some idiot cut down to about 22"(Only god knows why) but thought with the 1-60 twist rate it would take too much powder to shoot accurately so I bought a rice. On the other hand the rifle has a original grrw .58 cal barrel never used nor did it have the dovetails cut I was lucky enough to find them both on gun broker but had to buy both. The rifle has a medina patch box and engraved to match the trapper pistol.some say (I guess) the pistol is too fancy but that does not bother me in the least it's a beautiful pistol built in the correct style for the period. The pistol I have only shot a couple of times and needs load development when I get some time. The rifle so far I've shot 3 or 5 times and a .570 round ball with a pillow ticking patch over 100 grains of 3f Swiss will shoot one hole 5 shot groups at 25 yards and 3 inch groups at 50 yards so far 100 yards I'm hitting steel rams and bowling pins 90 percent of the time but still have lots of shooting and loads to try. I'm not sure how to post pics on here but would like to post both guns together if someone can help me with that.
Muzzlestuffer

muzzlestuffer said:
.... Ron built both of my grrw-ca guns both part of a set and engraved alike. The first a GRRW.CA Trapper Pistol TP01 CA (1of2) and the GRRW.CA J&S Hawken H02 CA (2of2).

The pistol is a .58 cal as well but does not have a grrw barrel it has a rice barrel we were going to use a grrw rifle barrel that some idiot cut down to about 22"(Only god knows why) but thought with the 1-60 twist rate it would take too much powder to shoot accurately so I bought a rice. VERY GOOD CHOICE LOU

On the other hand the rifle has a original grrw .58 cal barrel never used nor did it have the dovetails cut I was lucky enough to find them both on gun broker but had to buy both.  YOU LUCKED OUT

The rifle has a medina patch box and engraved to match the trapper pistol.some say (I guess) the pistol is too fancy but that does not bother me in the least it's a beautiful pistol built in the correct style for the period. BOTH FIREARMS ARE BEAUTIFUL & YOU SHOULD BE VERY PROUD OF PAULL'S WORKMANSHIP.

I'm not sure how to post pics on here but would like to post both guns together if someone can help me with that. JON CAN PROVIDE THE SETS LOU, I WOULD HELP BUT I WOULD PROBABLY SCREW-UP TODAY WITH HEAVY MEDICATIONS. GOOD TO SEE YOU POST ON HERE.

Muzzlestuffer

Back