Half-Cocked may proceed or heavy barrel versus Hunter barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
As some of you may know I have been waiting since 10/7 to hear back on a 4473 for my savage mark ii.

Bieng the impatient person I am I called nearly every week to check the status after a delay. I was told oh we'll call you as soon as it comes back with a proceed.

Finally today I got fed up and went to another dealer just to ask if they had a savage mark ii. They did! They had the heavy barrel and threaded barrel in stock!

Sweet. So I called Cabela's and told them hey look I've been waiting since the 7th. Can I go ahead and cancel my purchase and just go with a local FFL dealer? The guy responded well what's your name? I told him he went offline for a moment. When he came back he said oh you have a proceed you can come back by and pick it up anytime!

This is what upsets me the fact that it took so long. Which may be just the background check taking longer than usual. but and the big butt here is why the hell did they not call me and tell me that I have a proceed until I wanted to cancel the purchase?

So now I have a dilemma I can go to Cabela's and refuse the rifle. Which is what I'm leaning towards doing anyway. Then go back to my local FFL dealer and purchase the heavy barrel model. or I could just stick with what I bought and just pick up my purchase at Cabela's.

So mind you this is a 22 rabbit squirrel hunting rifle. But I spent a lot of time Bench shooting. Way more than I do hunting.

what do you guys think should I go ahead and cancel and purchase through my local FFL dealer? Since I'll primarily be bench shooting and then sometimes be hunting squirrels would it be better to have the heavy barrel? Does it really make a difference? Maybe better resale value?

What do you guys think I was just about to flip a coin to decide. Then I thought I turned to you guys for advice.

I’d go with the heavy barrel. In the Savage Rimfire lines the heavy barrels are crazy accurate. They are also not to heavy to carry hunting. I’ve had a Savage 93r17FVCSS for years and it’s accuracy is awesome. It’s my critter getter I keep in the corner of the garage. I can grab it at anytime and know I can take the head off a gopher across my whole yard till the woods starts. About 125 yards.

I’d go with the heavy barrel. In the Savage Rimfire lines the heavy barrels are crazy accurate. They are also not to heavy to carry hunting. I’ve had a Savage 93r17FVCSS for years and it’s accuracy is awesome. It’s my critter getter I keep in the corner of the garage. I can grab it at anytime and know I can take the head off a gopher across my whole yard till the woods starts. About 125 yards.

Thanks for the quick reply. as I read more on the web I think the heavy barrel would be better suited for my needs.

And like you said the heavy barrel isn't that much heavier a rifle overall considering that it's a 22. Looks like I might just have to disappoint Cabela's. Lol.

I know it shouldn't but it really irked me that I had to call a third time and threatened to cancel the purchase just to find out that I had a proceed.

Thanks for your reply. I am going to cancel it. I want to support Williams (the local FFL dealer).

they have an amazing selection. Believe it or not they even had 9 mm ammo in stock. And for their customers if you purchase a new firearm you can purchase the ammo associated with that firearm from their secret sash in the back. because we all know there's nothing more frustrating than purchasing a new gun and not having the cartridges for it.

matter of fact I don't think I'm going to waste my time with anyone else these people have their stuff together they have an excellent staff a shooting range on site and gunsmiths at the ready. Including what I found was a fantastic selection of muzzleloader supplies sans black powder.

from time to time I even see law enforcement in there which is a good sign to me. I have seen fully uniformed officers in their facility. the employees are really nice particularly the gentleman that showed me the rifle. Inform me of the exact number they had in stock gave me a business card with the specific model number of the rifle that I was looking at. I dig that customer service!

Besides I already purchased the Ruger LCP from them I might as well get the Savage Mark 2 from them as well.

Back