Happy happy happy!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My cap lock 45 Hawken is a patch shredder. Minor , appearing, tool marks being the culprit. .440 ball and poly patch shot very well, so I thought I'd try sabots. Being a 1-48 ( did read that early TC 45s were 1-36) choices are limited as to bullet length. I thought the 155 gr 40 cal XTP would work, but Greenhill says 1-43...
Located some old TC packaged 155s and went to the range.
Well. They load very tight and the tool marks can be clearly felt. Charge was 60 gr of 3f Swiss. Recovered sabots showed excellent rifling and few scuffs.
First 3 at 50 touched! Worst 3 shots were 1 1/2 inches. I suspect she was fouled. I swab between shots, but loading was very tough by the end. Definately needs crush ribs and/ or a light lapping.
Am very pleased with these results. Have to chrono them.

Confederate rifleman said:
My cap lock 45 Hawken is a patch shredder. Minor , appearing, tool marks being the culprit. .440 ball and poly patch shot very well, so I thought I'd try sabots. Being a 1-48 ( did read that early TC 45s were 1-36) choices are limited as to bullet length. I thought the 155 gr 40 cal XTP would work, but Greenhill says 1-43...
Located some old TC packaged 155s and went to the range.
Well. They load very tight and the tool marks can be clearly felt. Charge was 60 gr of 3f Swiss. Recovered sabots showed excellent rifling and few scuffs.
First 3 at 50 touched! Worst 3 shots were 1 1/2 inches. I suspect she was fouled. I swab between shots, but loading was very tough by the end. Definately needs crush ribs and/ or a light lapping.
Am very pleased with these results. Have to chrono them.

Good deal!! Get some JB bore paste, or Montana Extreme Bore Polishing Compound (what i use) Go about 150 Strokes, keep changing your patches out as they wear down (old T Shirt patches work GREAT for this :yeah: ) That should help her out a bunch!

Will do. Can't wait to try them in the rock lock. Her bore is .001 larger than the cap lock's and very smooth.
Hopefully results will be equally good. Commonality of load is a beautiful thing!

Back