Hard to load second shot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glnixon

Reaction score
I recently bought a new CVA Optima 50 cal and after firing the first shot from a clean barrel, the second loading will only ram to about 2 inches from where needed.Crud ring keeps me from getting it all the way down without really hammering it the rest of the way. Any helpful suggestions?

Wet patch both sides followed by dry patch both sides. Reload. Problem
Solved.

777 lower power primers will help reduce the crud but still need to swab between shots
Can't find any regular 209 primers but got 100 209 magnum primers to use. Shooting white hot pellets and 250 grn powerbelt bullets.

Wet patch with 2 stroke oil before shooting first shot and swab after 3 shots. The crud ring won't build up. I use white hots also and magnum 209 primers don't get the crud ring anymore I use full synthetic 2 stroke oil.
you should try out the Husqvarna synthetic 2 stroke oil. It makes a big difference when mixed into other bullet lubes, so might improve the crud ring even more.

Aside from lube, primers and the other suggestions of others, which are all good, try crush rib sabots from harvester.

I can get 3-4 loadings prior to swabbing if need be from my optima v2 using those. TC sabots I have to swab every shot.

Crud ring, ugh.
Someone somewhere suggested running the first damp patch down and letting it set for a bit. That will let the ring absorb somewhat and soften a bit. When withdrawing the jag it will remove most of the ring.
I've one-upped it by pointing the muzzle down after getting the rod about 3/4 way down the barrel. And removing the rod in that orientation.

Walmarts have been getting in the Federal muzzleloader primers if you want to try those. I believe white hots are supposed to work w any primer. You’d prob get less crud with one of these. Still probably need to swab.

View attachment 22392

i searched 24609 ....
"No results found in the searched area."
:(

Different powders, primers, conicals....

What I use and have been using for years, is the REAL Conical.
You can purchase in 250 grain or 325 rain...

No swabbing in between... Just plug and shoot all you want.
When you get home, do your regular cleanup routine.

I use number 11 primers and 777/FFF loose powder and have no problems shooting 10 rounds at the range with no swabbing. I don't know why people think they need 209's in a muzzleloader, I only use them reloading shotgun shells.

Back