Has anyone ever had a R.E.A.L bullet move off the charge?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on the Idaholewis videos I've watched, my current theory is that the best bullet diameter is one that's just tight enough to keep the bullet from moving off the powder, and keep the bullet aligned with the bore. To me, that means that the lands will slightly engrave the rifling, but not enough to require any thwacks on a short starter - just firm finger pressure directly to the bullet - to get the bullet started. Any more than that to start the bullet, and I'm thinking that it's just too easy to misalign and deform it.
I think your theory is misguided ,Lewis used as cast and unless you lift weights you (NEED) a short starter Lewis being an exception doing logging . Those that engrave upon loading are meant to engrave upon loading ,sizing will defeat the purpose of that design . Paper patching is another story , my long range shooting with a C Sharps 1874 /45/70 was PP using a 443 Baco mold and now the same with a 74 Pedersoli using a 444 Baco eliptical . One thing they both shared is like most LR shooters of full bore conicals /bullets they are used (as cast) !!! Also I suspect greasers too , and every flat base conical of the engraving type shoots better and with the REAL type way better . My paper patch gets a poly .60 every time ,no exception/ With your conical Lewis mentions if it happens with pure (moving off the powder) he adjusts his alloy to 40-1 ( a little harder) and it stays put sizing is not in the equation //Ed

I think your theory is misguided ,Lewis used as cast and unless you lift weights you (NEED) a short starter Lewis being an exception doing logging . Those that engrave upon loading are meant to engrave upon loading ,sizing will defeat the purpose of that design . Paper patching is another story , my long range shooting with a C Sharps 1874 /45/70 was PP using a 443 Baco mold and now the same with a 74 Pedersoli using a 444 Baco eliptical . One thing they both shared is like most LR shooters of full bore conicals /bullets they are used (as cast) !!! Also I suspect greasers too , and every flat base conical of the engraving type shoots better and with the REAL type way better . My paper patch gets a poly .60 every time ,no exception/ With your conical Lewis mentions if it happens with pure (moving off the powder) he adjusts his alloy to 40-1 ( a little harder) and it stays put sizing is not in the equation //Ed
In one of his videos, though, Lewis demonstrates starting a proper diameter bullet with his thumb... He does use as-cast bullets, but from a custom Accurate mold with custom dimensions.

In one of his videos, though, Lewis demonstrates starting a proper diameter bullet with his thumb... He does use as-cast bullets, but from a custom Accurate mold with custom dimensions.
Why good molds cost more , every time you size you change dimension and that is the draw back . Im not speaking of jacketed as I don't use them , but I will PC cast if my alloy selection can not increase my diameter enough do to my screw up on a particular mold for the barrel selected . Anyway as you can figure I shoot a lot of cast and try to (NEVER) size , but thats just what works for me./Ed

Why good molds cost more , every time you size you change dimension and that is the draw back . Im not speaking of jacketed as I don't use them , but I will PC cast if my alloy selection can not increase my diameter enough do to my screw up on a particular mold for the barrel selected . Anyway as you can figure I shoot a lot of cast and try to (NEVER) size , but thats just what works for me./Ed
Thanks for the helpful information.

One thing I do when loading for hunting is to load an interference fit bullet on a clean barrel at home and carry bore size bullets for in the field reloads. The oversized bullet won't move in the clean bore and the bore size makes reloading over the fouling easy. The powder fouling keeps the bore sized bullet in place.

One thing I do when loading for hunting is to load an interference fit bullet on a clean barrel at home and carry bore size bullets for in the field reloads. The oversized bullet won't move in the clean bore and the bore size makes reloading over the fouling easy. The powder fouling keeps the bore sized bullet in place.
Great idea!

Back