Have modern Muzzleloaders become to modernized?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of you hunt in states where deer are as thick as fleas. No challenge to get one. It was like this in rural Maine when I was young, some challenge, but deer were plentiful. When they sprayed the state with dioxin for budworm and introduced the coyote, it all changed in a few years. My teen years. The clearcuts followed and we became a Bear and moose state. I could not afford to have a misfire as IF I saw a buck, it was the only one I was going to see. I had to get it. Many years I hunted every legal day in Nov. and never saw a deer. Not all of your experiences are everyone else.

Maybe longbows and traditional MLs should be outlawed as they are too controversial and unsafe. The real question we should ask is why are hardcore, dyed in the wool traditional shooters and hunters allowed to use the internet at all? Let alone, to question the validity of others choice to use modern, safer guns with better supplies and equipment. If you want to live in the past thats ok, cancel your internet, electricity, gas, running water, sewer. Sell the car/truck/lawn mower. Get a horse, goat, chickens and a cow, walk the walk, dont just talk the talk.

Last edited:
I think this is a fair question to ponder, as long as one doesn't take it too personally. My state, Idaho, has some of the most restrictive ml laws around, short of calling for sidelock and flint. And I'm mostly okay with it. If other hunters don't like it, that's more game for me. And it is a bigger thrill to take something with a more primitive weapon. But if they allowed bh209, sabots, scopes and such, you can bet I'd use them. Or if there were better opportunities with a sidelock, I'd use one of those. As long as the rules are the same for everyone, I don't mind restrictions on equipment. I just want more and better opportunity. If that takes further differentiating my ml from a single shot centerfire, that's fine with me. I think it largely comes down to what one is accustomed to.

The relentless march of shooting technology is akin to the onslaught of ATVs and UTVs out West over the past 20 years, as well as crossbows allowable in general "archery" seasons in many states now too, etc. I have a very close friend who is a 30+ year retired wildlife big game biologist out west and he states it pretty simply: "No doubt advances in technology and mobility make many more successful where otherwise they wouldn't have been, but hopefully these folks are aware there are still limitations to their own skills regardless of technology. Does using a magnified scoped, modern muzzleloader with smokeless powder equate equally to a traditional/primitive arm that the seasons were initially set aside for, obviously no. Does that mean it's unacceptable? Again obviously no if they're hunting ethically - the hunter still has to use discretion for every shot regardless, and if the number of successful hunters goes up for a given season (insert crossbows in archery season, scoped modern muzzleloaders in primitive seasons, or the recent "tactical" trend of uber-long range modern rifles during general gun seasons), it merely means less tags since we manage the herds on populations and buck/doe ratios."

Interestingly he's long stated the greatest concern he sees isn't technical advances, it's the propensity for hunters to take longer and longer shots as technology advances, to where bullet performance and accuracy in field scenarios (especially that he's seen with elk) just isn't consistent.

My own $0.02 for what it's worth: Infighting and segregation gain nothing. We can all march to the beat of our own drum, so long as we always remember WHY we hunt and always, always hold to ethical and realistic limitations of our own hunting (and shooting) abilities in real world field conditions.
Here in the northeast..its ruined hunting..People that never bow hunted are out there with CROSSBOWS /cameras /riding the lazy ass on 4 wheelers /to sit in a plastic chair inside of a tent has exploded.to the point iam QUITING.I cant walk still hunting the trails without some 4 wheeler running me over if i dont get out of the way.

I’ve done muzzleloading in reverse from many/most of y’all. I started with an inline, then smokeless, and now I’m dabbling in traditional muzzleloaders. If only traditional muzzleloaders were allowed during ML season, I would only hunt with my Hawken and have no problem with it, but if a state allows me to use an inline with a scope, I’m taking any advantage I can get.
I will admit there’s not much “primitive“ in either archery or muzzleloader hunting anymore.

We have no weapon restrictions whatsoever I hunt with a flintlock or less often a caplock and bow. I'm competing against guys with 1000 yard centrefires and thermal scopes. I could do it but it doesn't sit right with me so I choose to handicap myself. I guess to each his own.

Friends we can post our opinions n facts upon all of this as we see it. The fact remains that Progress has been with us for centuries, its mankind n its Tech advances. You n i have seen this in our lives n its moving faster than i like. Such is life, it is what it is n we are the problem as Humans n desires n of the need of greed. So welcome to the real World !

We fuel all of the change of the products we use n only we the consumers can stop it. I no longer own a cartridge fed rifle. Just my choice they no longer fit into my life & hunting for my freezer meat. I don't own a .22 nor do i want one. I have a shotgun that my Pa left me when he passed back in 1980. Its only purpose is to stop another from trying take our belongings n our lives. I don't hunt with it. Its a dust collector but a good well made one !

i'm new to muzzleloading . if the only option in my state was a traditional sidelock i would not have been interested in getting one . and i found out a few days ago in Va. i can use smokeless powder in the ML during ML deer seasons IN A SMOKELESS CAPABLE MUZZLELOADER . i didn't know that when i ordered my brux patriot jan 25th so now i'm even more excited to get it .

anyway , i guess i'm too lazy ? ignorant ? or maybe according to some i have no respect for the traditional arms ? no one has ever said anything like that to me here but on other forums i've seen similar comments about folks like me . my thinking is as long as i'm not breaking any laws and i'm humane to animals i hunt or dispatch and i keep safety first .... that i'm good with what ever i choose for my use .

everything isn't for everybody .

What is the point you're making? I thought the thread is about whether or not MLs are too modern, not about how tough it is to hunt public land.
Public land? You don't know squat about Maine. The amount of game dictates how much of a challenge each person will accept. The point is that if you wanted to get a deer when I was young you better be able to make the shot and have enough gun. Most years I got one chance and many years no chance. Having plentiful deer make people think they are something they are not. All I do these days is shoot, no hunting skills required. But at least I know the difference.

Public land? You don't know squat about Maine. The amount of game dictates how much of a challenge each person will accept. The point is that if you wanted to get a deer when I was young you better be able to make the shot and have enough gun. Most years I got one chance and many years no chance. Having plentiful deer make people think they are something they are not. All I do these days is shoot, no hunting skills required. But at least I know the difference.
Now who's making an assumption? You have no idea where or what ive hunted or what i know. Got yer panties in a twist? Life's hard, quit your whining.

Many states have set aside a special Hunting time for those, for whatever reason, want to use a specific weapon. Here in Montana we have an archery season that doesn't allow crossbows. We finally got a muzzleloader season that's limited to those that are traditional with traditional components. The problem with that season i,s that it follows an extended anything goes season, so it runs in December. December's in Montana are not generally very nice. I hunt the regular season with my primitive equipment. I don't really have much competition from those thousand yard shooters as we are still a wide-open country, but that's probably only in our Western states. It all depends on the numbers that squawk. As muzzleloader hunters, we are outnumbered badly by archery and cartridge hunters. Rather than set around and complain, most of us try to find an area where were not challenged by others. It might not be the perfect answer, but we can make it work. Too many hunters with few days off make for too many crowded areas. For this I don't have any answer.
Squint

Is there anyone else that would not have gotten into muzzle loading if they could not have used a inline to start with ?

Is there anyone else that would not have gotten into muzzle loading if they could not have used an inline to start with ?
I know quite a few people that have never had anything except inlines but they’re all people who only have them to take advantage of the extra deer season. That’s not a criticism, just a fact.

Now that ? would be on a personal level. I started in 1957 learning of n shooting ML's with my Pa. It was an old one from his Pa
If you are referring to my above post about "personal" I am referring to personal attacks and confrontational comments made to members. If not...all good.

LOL...Not taking it personal at all. Just having to police this thread for getting off topic and arguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back