Hawken build started up tonight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Finally got to the wood work on my brothers Hawken my dad and I bought him for Christmas.

I always leave the wood just a little proud, enough for a strip/refinish in case of damage at some point.

I knocked out all the hard areas first as they normally break my patience down, so its work a little here, work a lil there.

IMG_6531_zpsr9rm0ctz.jpg

IMG_6533_zpsb6ukulmn.jpg

IMG_6538_zps2vrfwdos.jpg

IMG_6539_zpscxch0ilt.jpg

Not sure if I will do my Hawken thumb hook on the stock. Its a ton of patience and carving with my curved file and one slip or something out of wack and its game over.

We'll see though.

Wow, removing all that excess wood must have taken some time unless you used a rough rasp.
It's looking good. Are you going to thin the wrist some more?

I use a rasp that we used to use on horse hoofs. It removes is fast but gently to prevent splintering.

Just got the nose cap finished up. Need to cut a small 2x4 to use as a palm sander on the flat surfaces.

I'll smooth the wrist out, but as for thinning it, no. We all have large hands and it feels right when you handle it.

IMG_6542_zpsmgggvyu2.jpg

IMG_6544_zps0u2nfcig.jpg

IMG_6545_zpskd60dpar.jpg

Shes going to be a looker with all that pretty good!

My brother said he'd like the reddish brown antique stain I used on some of my other guns, so I will most likely go that route and hit the last coat or 2 with walnut so its not to red.

Looking good FG. Nice wood grain showing on that raw stock.

2 heavy coats of dixies antique gun stain and 2 light coats of birchwood casey walnut stain. Heavily oiled with boiled linseed oil to soak into the wood over night. I may give it another night as well before I apply truoil.

I can't wait to see the grain once I put tru oil on! I may do a glass finish to show that figure off.
IMG_6554.jpg

IMG_6557.jpg

IMG_6553.jpg

This pic shows the true color of the stock. The light glaring off the deck in the previous pics adds to much of an orange color.
IMG_6551.jpg

This one as well is pretty darn nice.
IMG_6559.jpg

Jonathan,
That stock looks very familiar. Hope the rest of the rifle comes out as nice.
Ray........... ;)

Is that what they call "quarter-sawn"? I've read they can quarter saw a piece of plain sapwood and make it show a nice pattern.

It might be, Ive heard that term but never really looked into it much to understand.

man shes coming out nice!! I'll take it outside tomorrow for pics. I put 2 coats on each day and then give it a full day to cure. Nice and slow, thin coats, dry time... That's what makes a stock finish come out nicely!

FrontierGander said:
man shes coming out nice!! I'll take it outside tomorrow for pics. I put 2 coats on each day and then give it a full day to cure. Nice and slow, thin coats, dry time... That's what makes a stock finish come out nicely!
Ahhh... See, I would have done it thick. Good note.

I usually buff it with 0000 steel wool between coats. It gives a rich, soft look to the wood not glossy.

Later tonight I'll do some find sanding to take the orange peel down and tomorrow, I'll have to run into town for more truoil to finish the job.

IMG_6573.jpg

IMG_6576.jpg

Latest posts

Back