Hawken build started up tonight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Jon,  I was thinking my CVA Hawken stock wasn't looking that bad.  Had some character and a nice finish on it.   Good enough for hunting whitetails.....and then you posted some pictures of your stock.  I'll be re-doing mine....Thank you.   :D

I'll bet your brother's smilin' :) ...looking great so far FG :Red tup:

Frontier-that is gorgeous! I did one when I was 15-really had no idea what I was doing. You mentioned orange peel, are you spraying the finish on? You've got me thinking a refinish!

no but you get that orange peel look because it doesnt completely fill the grain due to the wood sucking up the oil so quickly in areas. This is all hand rubbed.

Very nice, I know what you mean about the grain, mine actually still has some of that!

Finally finished up the stock today. Just took my time and added truoil, let it dry, buff, repeat over and over and over.

I got the barrel and under rib browning in the bath room and of course, I forgot the tang as usual. I'll take that in the shop tomorrow and get that all prepped and to the cigar humidor she goes.

I'll have pics once the rifle is complete.

That's nice.

Now, where are the pics and story of the COMPLETE hog hunt at falcon's place? A photo of a smashed round ball isn't good enough. :No:

:shooter:                :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:

Oh it will come. Just having writers block lol. A few years worth actually.

Well, shes about 99.9% complete! I just have to take the ram rod out into the shop and turn it down slightly as the stock channel has a tight spot. Just easier to make the ramrod a bit thinner and all will be set.

Please post some pics when you are finished.  Anxious the see how it turned out!  Thanks

IMG_6859.jpg

IMG_6856.jpg

IMG_6854.jpg

IMG_6853.jpg

Jon, do you think it would look better if the patchbox were darkened?

I think it would but not really sure.

It might, but I really wanted to give that a try first so it would brighten up the rifle a bit.

Latest posts

Back