heavyweights????????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageml10-2

Reaction score
i know indiana hunter shoots a 375 grain spitzer, what other weights and loads above 300 grain bullets have others tried? and sinceAA-2015 is temp sensitive what powders? AA-5744? vv-120 vv-133????

savageml10-2 said:
i know indiana hunter shoots a 375 grain spitzer, what other weights and loads above 300 grain bullets have others tried? and sinceAA-2015 is temp sensitive what powders? AA-5744? vv-120 vv-133????

Powders are not "temp sensitive" only load combos are!!!!

2015 will NOT be temp sensitive with 375 gr bullet weight.

Bullet weight increases pressure which increases sustained burn rate.

If shooters do not have an understanding of bullet weight, powder burn rates, flash hole size, primer strength, tightness of load etc. better be carfeul before venturing off of the recommended loads.

5744 with a 375 gr bullet can make a lot pressure very quickly. Would need to start LOW and work up if at all!!

Savage Shooter said:
Powders are not "temp sensitive" only load combos are!!!!

2015 will NOT be temp sensitive with 375 gr bullet weight.

Bullet weight increases pressure which increases sustained burn rate.

If shooters do not have an understanding of bullet weight, powder burn rates, flash hole size, primer strength, tightness of load etc. better be carfeul before venturing off of the recommended loads.

5744 with a 375 gr bullet can make a lot pressure very quickly. Would need to start LOW and work up if at all!!

That is one great post, Mark. Apparently you are not just another pretty face? Next thing you know, you might be winning fishing championships as well. :shock:

That covered a lot of ground in a hurry.

Very good advise here! I concur Randy.. VERY good post!

ok so the people saying the temp sensitivity are using the wrong bullet!!!!! or weight at least. so if i want to push the 375SSB to say 2000 fps i need to start about 64 grains of 2015, i would like to try cast performance 360gr and 335 gr WLNGC Rw: Ron Dalitz told me you have shot quite a few of the 375SSB, can you share your data on that? :?:

savageml10-2 said:
ok so the people saying the temp sensitivity are using the wrong bullet!!!!! or weight at least. so if i want to push the 375SSB to say 2000 fps i need to start about 64 grains of 2015, i would like to try cast performance 360gr and 335 gr WLNGC Rw: Ron Dalitz told me you have shot quite a few of the 375SSB, can you share your data on that? :?:

Basically yes, the heavier the bullet, the slower the powder needs to be to maintain lower pressure.

I use a 460-463gr FN .451 cal homecast bullet in my MZ only it is a blackpowder rifle......I use 73.3gr(by weight, 100gr by volume). The best group was 1" with 2 holes touching. I calculated that I have approx 3500ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle and still have around 2000 at 200yds. The steel plate(1/4") at 100 yards had a 3/8"+ dent in it and 1/4" @ 200yds........I realize you use a smokeless muzzleloader but I thought I'd throw this out there for you.

Savage strictly prohibits the use of any bullet heavier than 300 grains with smokeless powder-- you should be aware of that.

Savage needs to get on this board and get up to speed. :shock:

Yes, they are the only ones who know anything in this universe. :roll:

Rifleman did not advocate violating the owner's manual, only that perhaps Savage might want to consider the benefits of adding to the manual. :|

Mountain Man said:
Yes, they are the only ones who know anything in this universe. :roll:

Rifleman did not advocate violating the owner's manual, only that perhaps Savage might want to consider the benefits of adding to the manual. :|

I believe RW wrote the manual? And can ad to the manual when he feels the need to. He's the reason the 40/50 260 Deadcenters are in the manual now. They were so very accurate for him and others. I shot a three Deer with 260grn DeadCenters last year. They really work. The Blue MMP sabot makes that bullet even better.

I guess that powder companys never need to update their manuals either. :roll:
Last time I checked they do it all the time. Whatcha gonna do about the new barnes bullet the super duper poly tipped boat tail? It's sure not in any approved load. Come on, start thinkin. :roll:

Just a question not advocating.
If a guy could stand the punishment why could'nt he go with a paper patched lead bullet sized to bore fit? The paper patch would act much like the plastic and would burn past and vent hot gases past the bullet relieving unacceptable pressure. The barrel is proof tested and I am sure there are smokeless loads that could be safely brought to service by watching paper jacket for burn thru and checking barrel for leading.
I know that Savage states that only saboted bullets may be used I think they state 45 cal max and nothing over 300 grains. Why?

I believe RW wrote the manual? And can ad to the manual when he feels the need to. He's the reason the 40/50 260 Deadcenters are in the manual now.

No, that isn't the case-- there was a 10ML-II manual when I tested my first non-accutrigger version.

I was given the opportunity to makes suggestions, which are then put through engineering, and the final product is approved by committee.

No way can I just "add to the manual" when I want. I can make suggestions, of course-- but so can anyone. But-- verified by engineering, and then assembled / commented on / approved by the whole Savage Team. Yes, I did suggest the .40 / 50 Dead Centers-- my 77 years (young) father really likes them, and so does his 10ML-II.

peteo said:
The paper patch would act much like the plastic and would burn past and vent hot gases past the bullet relieving unacceptable pressure.

It does not work that way at all. You can't "relieve" high pressure in 1/1000th of a millisecond in a rifle.

Rifleman said:
I guess that powder companys never need to update their manuals either. :roll:
Last time I checked they do it all the time. Whatcha gonna do about the new barnes bullet the super duper poly tipped boat tail? It's sure not in any approved load. Come on, start thinkin. :roll:

If your talking to me, i will try them. I have already started using 4759 and plan on soon trying N-110. N-120 is not in the line up anytime soon. Two other powders are. :shock: I will say friends of yours use the other two. :wink: No Duplex loads either.

RandyWakeman said:
I was given the opportunity to makes suggestions, which are then put through engineering, and the final product is approved by committee.

Randy, you probably new that's what i meant. Nobody else sure did. :oops: Thanks for the update.

[/quote] Randy said:
It does not work that way at all. You can't "relieve" high pressure in 1/1000th of a millisecond in a rifle.
Ok, Im not the sharpest knife in the drawer but if pressure isnt being relieved when it burns past either the patch or blows out the sabot as either of these jackets are still in the barrel it sure would not happen outside the barrel. If this failure occurs in the barrel then is not high pressure being relieved, and it will vent around these jackets increasing venting as pressure tries to build while gas jet cutting more of the jacket thus allowing more relieve. Time I believe in this instance is not a factor as much as pressure. I know of no other way to explain it. If you can please dumb it down for me.

Back