help me dial in my accuracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brass volume measures start at 50 grains and go up in 10 grain clicks. Start with yours bottomed out and weigh that charge, then divide by 0.7 that will give you the volume equivalent of that setting. Then check a couple of other settings to verify. There’s no problem using that type of measure, you’ve just got to make sure you’re not overcharging your gun.

https://www.blackhorn209.com/faqs/You may want to browse over this. You’ve either got a garbage volume measure, your setting it wrong, or you have something other than BH209.
Item number 5 on the FAQ’s.
120V X 0.7(multiplier)= 84 grains.
DO NOT SHOOT 120 WEIGHED GRAINS OF BH209!!! That’s the equivalent of 171 grains volume. You take a good chance of ruining a gun or a body part.
I was all wrong on what i had posted earlier about the 130gr. My mind took a wrong turn.
I do use 80gr by weight off blackhorn 209. And yes i use the .7 formula. I dont know why i said 130gr off on the powder measure. In actuality its 3.8 gr heavy weight wise on the powder measure at rhe 120gr volume setting. If that makes more sense now. Sorry

Are you talking about the BH is 3.8 heavy at the 120 setting?
Meaning, instead of weighing 84 grains it weighs almost 88?
Some of the BH209 lots of powder were different in weight but are supposed to be relatively consistent in velocity:volume
There are a couple of threads on here that have some good discussion on that.
Since I’ve been weighing my charges, I’ve just dumped the volume I want to shoot onto the scale and taken it to the nearest 1/2 grain, by adding a touch or removing a touch, and then weighed the rest of my charges to that weight. Some guys do an average of three, some don’t weigh at all.
With real black. I set the scale and then weigh them out.

Latest posts

Back