Help, Which type of powder to use?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uckayak2_mn

Reaction score
I have been trying to read up on past posts about actual black powder versus powder alternatives. This is a very confusing subject that I have been trying to muddle through. I will be shooting a Knight Disc Extreme in Spring. I have already decided that I will be only using powder, I am going with the stock breech plug for now. When I looked at the Knight website, it looks like they use the 777 powder quite often I mentioned this to my friend and he told me that I could have the few cans that he has. He told me that he really was not satisfied with it, he shoots a Encore first type. I have found quite a few posts on the crud ring and barrel fouling caused by the 777.
I have looked around town where I live and I can find the alternative powders at most sporting shops. I have found the 777 and Pyrodex powders. The black I would need to drive about 45 miles to Track of the Wolf, this would be no problem. If black is the preferred powder, which powder Swiss or Goex for best results. I just don't know which one will be best to start experimenting with. I have also read articles on the downsides of black powder. Help :?:

Thanks,
Mike

APP/Shockey's Gold/Pinnacle 3Fg Loose Powder, 70-120 grains, compress VERY FIRMLY. No crud ring and easy cleaning, non-corrosive to gun steel :D 8)

Thanks Lane

I read your posts on the Power Stem breech plug in your .45 Knight. Have you heard of any problems with the .50's? I was told by a guy on another forum that he was really not getting very results with his .50. I was really looking forward to trying out the P.S. I think that I will still get one to try just curious on recommended loads?

Thanks again,
Mike

I use Triple Se7en almost exclusively. Spitpatching between shots eliminates crud ring issues.

Like Chuck said,it's no problem. And the performance is better than anything out there yet! :D PS. Where does your friend live? :D

rks1949

Thanks guys,
He lives right here in MN, much closer to me than IL. I think that I will take him up on his offer. Just wish that I had grabbed it last week before he headed North hunting. I had it right in my hands, I was thinking if it was that bad I didn't want it either :oops: Now I hope his offer still stands.

Mike

big6x6 said:
I use Triple Se7en almost exclusively. Spitpatching between shots eliminates crud ring issues.

the powerstem really knocked it out for me, I really dont even need to patch anymore 8)

Thanks Matt

Are you shooting a .50 caliber by chance? If so what are using for your loads? Looking for a good starting point. I had recieved a message from someone that said no luck in his .50, Maybe just the right combination? I think it will surely be worth the investment to see. :lol:

Take care,
Mike

I also heard that the Powerstem eliminates the crud ring from trip7.

It certainly leaves about 75% less residue than normal when using APP/Shockeys Gold/Pinnacle. It just totally consumes all the powder :shock: 8)

For loads in the 50 cal Extreme, I'd go for the 250gr Shockwave or the PR QT 215-250grain/Also called the Cabelas Brand Bullet.

And you must use at Least 120 grains of most powders to get the charge to ignite in the middle.

Thanks again Lane

Thanks again Lane, Nice deer by the way! I see that the .45 caliber seems to be your preferred weapon of choice. That might be an interesting calibur to try next. That is the minimum caliber allowed for ML in my State. I would think that the trajectory would be better than the .50 caliber. Although that Green Mountain .32 has really caught my eye for the next possible purchase. It looks like a really fun gun for the range and small game hunting. Thanks for all of the great info on the Power Stems. I can't wait to get my gun out of lay-away, X-mas put a small delay on that :cry:

Mike

Latest posts

Back