Help with bullet choice....CVA Optima for whitetail

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwterry3

Reaction score
Just picked up my CVA Optima (I did thorough research about it before purchase). Currently mounting a 3x9x40mm.

Headed to SE Kansas in late Sept and looking for optimal performance from my bullet combo.

Aimed at Winchester 209 primers, 100gr 777 pellets, and then what???

Hornady SST or Powerbelt? Hollow Point vs AeroTip type.....250gr/300gr/etc....need a little help

Will mostly have 60-120yrd shots. Thanks

If you decide on the Powerbelts, I would use a heavier bullet. I researched Powebelts some after I lost a doe using the 245 gr aerotips. That bullet was very accurate in my gun using a 100 grains of Pyrodex, but from what I read, 100 grains and higher pushes that size bullet too fast and it will probably come apart when hitting flesh and bone. I believe the 295 gr and heavier bullets handle that amount of powder better.

The SST/Shockwaves also shoot well in my guns and I think they would be a better choice of the two you listed. There again, after research, some love them and some don't. I have never shot one at a deer, I use them for target practice.

I think a better choice would be a Barnes MZ, TMZ, or TEZ bullet in 250 gr or a 300 gr for longer shots. We have harvested many deer with these and the performance on deer is outstanding.

Bullet recovered from a large doe, 110 gr BH209, 250 gr Barnes PBT
Matts2nddoebarnesbullet.jpg

I have researched the Barnes bullets as well as TC/Hornady Shockwaves.

Going to try one of these and the 295gr powerbelts?

FOr whitetail at 70-120yrds.....do I need hollowpoint/magnums/or just regular tips?

Thanks

jwterry3 said:
Also how do these load into a CVA Optima???? easy-Hard?
I`ve shot Powerbelts out of my Optima, and they loaded real easy. No cleaning between shots.

I would take a look at the Hornady XTP line. Inexpensive, so you can shoot more to learn your new rifle, and great performers on deer sized game. Don't use the "magnum" XTPs they're a bit too tough for reliable expansion on a deer. I have had good experience with these bullets for a long time, they leave a nice thumb sized hole in both sides of a deer at the ranges you're talking about. The .451 250 or 300 grain are the ones you'd want to try. Use a black MMP sabot.

Enjoy your new gun, no matter what you decide to shoot!

MOdeer said:
I would take a look at the Hornady XTP line. Inexpensive, so you can shoot more to learn your new rifle, and great performers on deer sized game. Don't use the "magnum" XTPs they're a bit too tough for reliable expansion on a deer. I have had good experience with these bullets for a long time, they leave a nice thumb sized hole in both sides of a deer at the ranges you're talking about. The .451 250 or 300 grain are the ones you'd want to try. Use a black MMP sabot.

I shot a really nice buck last year with a 300 XTP Mag and it was never recovered. Tracked it till I ran out of blood. There is no way the bullet opened up.

MOdeer said:

MOdeer said:

I've been happy with the 250 grn SST/Shockwave and 115 grains of B209. I've also been known to shoot cheap bullets at the range then do a final sight-in with the hunting projectiles, then hunt. Of course you have to come back to the very important aspect of shot placement, which trumps relatively minor differences in bullets.

Got it shooting both 270gr Powerbelts (2inches at 120yrds) and 250gr TC Easy Glides (4inches at 125yrds).

Ready for my Kansas whitetail hunt in 16 days.... :wink:

jwterry3 said:
Got it shooting both 270gr Powerbelts (2inches at 120yrds) and 250gr TC Easy Glides (4inches at 125yrds).

I would be willing to bet that if you used the shockwaves with the black sabot instead of the easy glide your group would shrink up real nice.

jwterry3 said:

I would be willing to bet that if you used the shock waves with the black sabot instead of the easy glide your group would shrink up real nice.

Latest posts

Back