Hog hunt optics!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Hey...I was just wondering what scopes everyone will be using at the hog hunt?

Kristel has a new Leupold VX-III 1.75-6 with the heavy duplex on her 10ML-II. She really likes it! I'll PROBABLY use the ULA .50 which has the old reliable, tried and true Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 on it. I think those are pretty good choices...

What about the rest of you?

Cant go wrong with those Leupolds there Chuck!!

For me its my treasured Leupold VX-II 2-7-33mm Workhorse. Has a White underbelly though! :lol:

VX-1 2x7x33 on my HB.....3x9x40 conquest on my SMI...VX-1 2x7x33 on 210 slug gun and iron sights on the .480

While I think that Loggy has the idea with the Leupold VX-II 2-7-33mm, that scope risides on my Savage 210. Given the difficulties of sighting in a 12ga shotgun it is certainly not moving...

I have the Conquest 3-9x40 on my HB and that is what I will be sticking with... :mrgreen:

Pistol. Straight up iron sights............ Rifle 6x leupold! Cant wait to meet you all and have some fun!..

big6x6 said:
3x9x40 conquest on my SMI

So you ARE going to bring that?

Yes sir, not sure I'll use it but it will tag along to surely play with, but who knows...I've not had a chance to shoot any hog hunt preparation so I'm going up to SMI to drop off my project gun, hang around with Ron, Dan and hopefully Joe and then go shoot a bit with Ron...So the SMI might end up being the ticket...

He's looking to try a new breech plug design as well. I've kind of targeted the current NEF/SMI as a longer range gun shooting .40 caliber bullets but that might take a back seat to my new project... Which ever ends up as the longer range gun will be topped with my Conquest 3.5x10x50 the other gun will get the Conquest 3x9x40.

However, I believe a 225grain .40 caliber LBT at around 2400 fps might be an interesting pill for a hog hunt...I'll shoot a few with the .480 Ruger as it will most likely be a hip toting back-up, my HB with either a .452 340 grain LFN LBT or a .458 325 grain LNT, my NEF/SMI with same bullets as my HB, and Savage 210 Slug Warrior with the Remington Buck Hammer 1 ? slug and the new Hornady 300 grain SST bullet. One way or the other, weather permitting I?ll be shooting up a storm tomorrow.

Editorial comment:

Almost to a man we all agree the 250 and 300 XTP bullets are as accurate as any bullet shot and proven performers on game. If we all stopped there we would not have much to talk about here?That being said, I cannot see how an LBT bullet shooting a 1 to 1 ? inch groups (hunting accuracy) inside 125 yards would not be an extremely efficient, economical bullet for most hunting applications under these conditions?.

Leupold VXIII 2.5 X 8 x 36 on the MLII
Weaver V9 on the Disc Elite 50 (Matt will use)
Leupolds are my favorites though :D

Latest posts

Back