Hog Hunt with caplock worked out

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkitoff1

Reaction score
I was able to sneak up to 3 hogs.  At 47 yards on the rangefinder I took a kneeling position and cocked the hammer.  Lined up the sights and squeezed.  When the smoke cleared, the hog was dead right where it was last standing.  The load was 80 grains Triple 7 FFFg powder under a Cheap Shot sabot.  These cheap shots are a pure lead HP of 250 grain and .452 diameter. The package said a .44 bullet and 240 grains but I measured and weighed them 3 or 4 times to confirm.  The rifle is a Traditions Deer Hunter kit that I put together and stuck a sling on. The bullet went through both shoulders and exited, breaking a lot of bone making a good sized exit hole. Photo shows the exit hole.....
NOTE: The shallow rifling in 1:48 in this barrel fouls quickly with plastic from the sabot and accuracy goes out the window after shot 3 or 4 if you don't do a good tight swabbing between shots.  I'm not going to keep using these projectiles in this rifle, this was just to get it going.

Hog_hunt_with_50_traditions.jpg

Couldn’t get a PRB load to work in range session. Tried these components that I had and they happen to group good. Will experiment more later,...

How did you attach the sling to your gun?

And what kind of hat are you wearing?

I bought a ramrod barrel with sling swivel attachment on ebay.  D/T it and put two screws in it. Wood end has a screw-in stud.  It just a camo hat that I got from a company.

Thanks Sparky. I was joking about your hat and really referring to the blacked out face in the picture.

Nice hog. I have never shot one and have only seen a few in the wild. my bud lives in Weatherford Tx and I really thought by now he would have a few pigs running around there but so far none have shown up even though they are near him to the north and west. Someday...

I use Cheap Shot Sabots in my CVA Inline as matter fact I have killed Hogs up to 200 pounds using them.

Surprised you got at exit.

Nice Hog just right for eating.

oneshot

burlesontom said:
Thanks Sparky. I was joking about your hat and really referring to the blacked out face in the picture.
I'm sure that out in internet land somewhere some snowflake is catching the vapors of the blacked out face.  :roll:

Good hunt & glad you had a successful one at that.

Well, done, we have feral porkers down under to, will have a go one day, Brotherinlaw has some on his farm down south. Home cured bacon?

Latest posts

Back