Hornady .44 FXT 265gr ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sabinajiles said:
SeanC said:
I will say that Im curious as to the expansion of the Hornady .44 265 gr ftx at longer distances. Once I get my gun dialed in and head out with my buddy to start shooting longer ranges, I will mimic Rons expansion tests and see what type of results I get with expansion at longer ranges. If anyone else has any more suggestions please do share. Thanks again guys!
I can tell you that all 3 deer I killed were broadside lung shots and complete pass throughs. The lungs on two of the deer were basically turned to jello. The 187 yd shot was on a yearling buck. He had his head down feeding and was quartering towards me. The bullet hit the spine just forward of the shoulders, completely severing it, and passed down through the chest and exited the opposite side low, below the ribs and behind the leg. The lung on the side the bullet struck had massive damage and the other lung had the bottom of it blown away. The bullet also hit the heart and it was basically blown up and nonexistent. Everything I saw indicated the bullet expanded and performed as it was supposed to do.

Thanks Sabinajiles, thats good to know!!!

MrTom said:
There ya go Seanc, a positive testimonial in favor of the FTX. Graf&Sons has this bullet for less than $30.00/box of 50. Check around and you may be able to find them cheaper. A little postage, some green Harvester sabots and you're good to go. That 110 grain charge [by volume] is perhaps the most common hunting charge for 209 powder around for guns that can use it and 187 yards is very close to the distance you were looking for.

Funny you mentioned graf& sons. I’m a union carpenter and live in Illinois 30 miles east of St. Louis. Currently were working in St Louis, Maryland Heights to be specific. I googled Graf & Sons on my lunch break and Graf Reloading Pops up being 4.2 miles away. I called them and indeed they have those bullets in stock for $29 along with the bulk sabots. I’ll be heading there after work today to get them. Cant wait to shoot my new Optima tomorrow. Thanks!!!!

That is not the same Grafs but it is a good shop. Their Harvester pricing is excellent and ive also bought many boxes of bullets from them. That is Graf's Reloading in St Charles. The other is Graf and Sons in Mexico Mo. They do however have some "history" behind them.

https://www.grafs.com/
http://www.grafsreloading.com/

Graf & Sons of Mexico, Missouri, was started by Arnold Graf and his two sons, Howard and Bob, in 1957. In 1978, Howard’s son, Mike, started working full time at Graf & Sons. In 1979, the Grafs purchased a retail gun store in St. Charles, Missouri, and Mike was sent there to work. After a few years of experience, he became manager of the store. In 1988, Mike purchased the St. Charles retail store from the family, changing the name to GRAF'S RELOADING, and has worked there ever since.

Yes I taked to him about that while I was there. Large selection, and very reasonable prices. I bought my bullets and sabots there. I had a couple of gift cards to bass pro so since Its only a couple of blocks from grafs I purchased my BH209 powder, electric scale and a powder tumbler there. Grafs was cheaper on all three of those items.

Re: RE: Re: Hornady .44 FXT 265gr ?

sabinajiles said:
I have used the 265 gr FTX in both an Accura V2 and an Accura MR. I use the Harvester smooth green sabot and 110 gr BH209. It has been an etremely accurate combination, one of the most accurate I have shot. I've shot 3 deer with that combination in the last 2 seasons, from 97-187 yds, and all were DRT.
Dido

I started shooting this bullet out of my Optima v2 at the recommendation of people here.

I shoot it with 70 wtg of blackhorn.

I'm a total newbie. First muzzleloader ever.

It's accurate! And not very expensive. Did a lot of shooting with it when I first got the gun and it was one of the more accurate weapons I've ever shot.

Shot a buck in a quickly unfolding situation this year. He was chasing a doe I was on the ground on my feet everything went pretty quick. But he stopped at about a hundred and ten yards. Made a pretty poor shot really low and back, probably clipped the lower edge of the liver. No guts, but must have been close.

Anyhow, he bled well and I recovered him.

Share the story though because the bullet worked. That's all I know.

Others on here can give you a lot more information. Just sharing my experience.

I have some of the 265 red tipped bullets and I also have some of the 265gr flat nose bullets. I haven’t tried either out of my muzzeloader yet. I have always shot the 250gr or 300gr SST’s from my muzzeloader. This year I’m shooting the 250gr solid copper mono flex muzzeloader bullets. I have shot the 265gr bullets out of a 444 though. The 265gr FTX red tip bullets don’t seem to hold up as good as I would like out of the 444. But I’m hand loading them pretty hot and they should be between 2400-2500fps. They don’t usually exit because there coming apart so if the run off the blood trail isn’t that good. The 265gr Hornady flat nose bullet works great at that speed and leaves a exit hole bigger than a golf ball. The 265gr flat nose leaves a lot better blood trail if the deer runs. But at slower normal black powder speeds the 265gr FTX might work great. They shoot a little tighter groups out of my 444 but I like the flat nose’s performance better on deer.

Back