Hornady SST and Deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ShawnT,

Thanks for sharing your hunting experiences, I love to hear about the terminal performance of different projectiles. Since you have mentioned the Swift I'll tell ya' about my friends experience with the 325gr. A frame, a Knight Disc rifle, 2 pyrodex pellets and an incredible 6X6 bull elk :shock: . He was hunting here in Utah in one of our limited draw areas and shot one heck of a bull. The shot was about 60yds face on, my friend said the bull didn't react much at the shot but just stood there momentarily before tipping over. The bullet penetrated well (past the liver if I remember correctly) and the recovered A Frame which I did personally see performed picture perfect, so much so that Swift could have used it in one of their ads. I wish I had a picture of that elk to post but at the very least if I run into him again I'll ask him what the bull scored.

Whitesmoke

Whitesmoke,

I figured that it would do good on elk. I personally have not had the chance to go for elk but it may happen in a year or two. I have a friend that has some land in the panhandle of Idaho and I hope to get out there in the near future. I will not hesitate to use the Swift 300 load.

I chose it for bear because the first trip I took to Maine I took a large dry sow. When we skinned her out, it was like we had to skin the old girl twice. Once to get the hide off and the second time to get the 6" layer of Fat off. :shock: The guides mom almost had a fainting spell! When she saw it she said that they must be going to have a long cold winter that year. After seeing that I decided that I wanted a good bullet to be sure to penatrate all that Fat. I had used a 225 grain Partition from a 358 win on the sow. But took the big boar with the MK95 and the Swift.

ShawnT

ShawnT,

The 358 Win. Now that's a great cartridge that never got the recognition it deserved, way to go :yeah:

Whitesmoke

whitesmoke said:
ShawnT,

The 358 Win. Now that's a great cartridge that never got the recognition it deserved, way to go :yeah:

Whitesmoke

Yeah..you are RIGHT! But I'm more of a .35 Whelen man myself! :wink:

big6x6,

35 Whelen, another great cartridge :D . I always thought it was strange that the 35's never captured the attention of american shooters :think: . Maybe with the exception of the 35 Remington which was popular with 'eastern woods' hunters (thanks to the great performance of the 200gr Remington Corelokt) other than that there has not been much fanfair for the 35's, what a shame :cry: . Sure would like to have an old Win 88 in 358 though!

Whitesmoke

Whitesmoke,

I absolutely love my 358win. When I finally made arrangements for my first Black Bear hunt I started reading a lot about hunting them. I found that in every book I read there was some mention of the old 358 Win. It was the first time I had really heard of it, and was intrigued by it. I did some research on the cartridge and decided that was what I wanted to use. It took me about 8 months to find one in a rifle I could afford. I was looking at first for the old win 88 and could not find one at any gun shows or shops in my area. I finally got a copy of gunlist and found one in there for $1100! :shock: I did locate ads for some others but they were going to #1100 to $1300! :( I could get 308's for around $450 at the shows.
I finally noticed and ad for a Ruger 77 in 358 win down in Texas. I called the guy and it was like new in box condition. I am not a big Ruger fan but he had a price that fit my budget better, $475. I took it and put a little 2X7 leupold Vari XII on it and picked up some bullets and Brass. I Found that it really shot well with 225 grain partitions and IMR 4320 powder. It don't like the Win 200 grain silver tips, spits them out like it has a bad taste in its mouth! But the 4320 and partitions will cut a big hole at 100 yards! you cant shoot too many at a time since this rifle has a real slim contour barrel. But it is a great hunting rifle. First shot and that sow rolled her feet into the air. She did get up and made one big jump then hit the ground and did not move again, nice big exit hole. Lungs and heart were all blowed up! It really does good on deer too. They loose their Footing pretty quick when they meet mister partition! :wink:

Big 6X6

I have been thinking about either buying or building a 35 Whelen ever since I got this 358 win. I love those big 35's. :D 8)

ShawnT

ShawnT...SST's

I bought some SSt's last season and shot a 5 pointer with it opening day. He went about 50yds and dropped. So for me I have no complaints. But like everyone in here looking for the perfect projectile. Gonna try some of the Barnes all coppers this year and see what happens. Hope to let you all know how they work. Later guys love this site so much useful info!

Back