How far away when testing loads?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraig

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just curious when you are testing to see what bullet/sabot/charge works best with your muzzleloader, what range do you typically do it at? Not sighting in, just for finding best groups.

Thanks!

I shoot open/peep sights exclusively with my Muzzleloaders, When i test new Bullets i like to be in the 50 to a Maximum of 100 Yard Range. I shoot more 50-60 Yard range than any, Simply because it’s convenient for me, and it tells me what i need to know. If the load shoots Badly at 50-60 Yards there is no reason to take it farther out, I work with it here until i get it to Shoot tight, Then i take it out to 200-300, if it’s stil holding Tight, i go to 600-800 Yards

100 yards. Long enough of a distance that I can see what the load is going to do, but not far enough where I’m all over the target and possibly missing completely.

Same here. Plus that's as far as my range goes...

Hey guys, I was just curious when you are testing to see what bullet/sabot/charge works best with your muzzleloader, what range do you typically do it at? Not sighting in, just for finding best groups.

Thanks!
50 yards first 3 shot group. If adjustments need to be made make em. Shoot another 3 at 50. Shoot the rest at 100

Back