How long do Knight Western breech plugs last?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muley Hunter said:
Your state is stricter than most. My state is kind of in the middle. No scopes, pellets, or sabots but most everything else is legal.

Inlines have their advantages. I just like sidelocks better. You have a fast twist sidelock. I don't think that's much better than an inline. I feel sidelocks should be slow twist PRB shooters. I'm pretty strict with myself on sidelocks. It has to be all primitive or it loses it's appeal to me.

I shoot an inline in rifle seasons because I like muzzleloaders. An inline shooting BH 209 is just as easy and fast to clean as a CF rifle. A sidelock shooting real BP takes the longest to clean.

My problem is my vision is way beyond the point of using open sights. I put a 1X scope on my inline to just give me a clear sight picture. I was looking for an advantage by using magnification. I just want to see the target and sight clearly. I'm tired of looking at a blurry world. At least when I shoot I can see. I would never put a scope on a sidelock, so switching to a sidelock is not really a good idea for me. I'm just really stubborn about giving something up that I like. Such is life.

btw...For what reason would a sidelock be more accurate than an inline?

Pete, I totally understand your feelings toward primitive, and I respect that! My knowledge in Patched Roundball is VERY limited, From a Ballistic Standpoint they have LITTLE to no appeal to me. My fascination from my start in this stuff has been with Conicals in Fast Twist Sidelocks. My best Group to date is 3 shots in 7” at a ranged 505 yards, That’s with open sights/peep sights, and paper patched bullets, I have shot Many 1” and better groups at 100 yards, That doesn’t happen everytime out of course, but when everything is right, and i do my part, it is not at all uncommon, Matter of fact I expect it.

Fact is, The diversity in our sport is LARGE, I respect each and every guy for what they choose to shoot, Some of it I don’t understand? The same as I’m sure some don’t understand my ways? It would be a pretty boring world if we all did the same thing :lol:

As far as a good Sidelock being more accurate than an inline? I have no hands on experience there, as I don’t own an inline and i never have. I am going off of what my Good Friend Idahoron has told me with his Fast Twist Sidelocks VS his MK-85, 85s. Ron came up to my house and spent about a week with me a couple years ago on a Whitetail hunt i offered him, Ron killed his first Whitetail buck with me watching him :yeah: We chummed around together that week, Hiked together, We shot guns together, and have stayed in regular contact Since. My point, I trust what Ron tells me. If Ron tells me his Sidelocks are more accurate than his MK-85s I absolutely believe him.

All you need to do is talk to some of the target competitors on this forum.

Ron is a hunter.

Latest posts

Back