How many deer do you average a year?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I baught a Savage in 2000 I have taken 5-6 every year until this season. Only took 1 this year :cry:
Pre Savage I shot 1 or 2 every year. Started deer hunting in 88 or 89

Ok boys I think I probably got everyone beat hands down in this category at least this year.

I average about 5 a year, BUT after this year my average probably jumped to about 7!

I have killed 17 deer this year. OMG, its kinda gotten ridiculous and I still have a week of deer season to go.

Now before anybody flips thier lid, YES I or somebody eat all those deer. My wife and I buy ABSOLUTELY NO meat in the store. Furthermore, of those 17 only 3 have been bucks, the rest does. I am very fortunate and live in a unit with basically unlimited doe tags (they never sell out of the quota), plus I hunted Oklahoma and Texas this year.

I've hunted deer for about 42 years (with many years missed due to military and job locations). Last year I took one air shot. :D

As to lifetime figures, I haven't a clue but the number would throw you into shock. :shock:

Underclocked said:
As to lifetime figures, I haven't a clue but the number would throw you into shock. :shock:

Too low a number? :poke: :lol:

J/K UC. :wink:

Since posting this I ended up getting two more deer with my MZ, both were about 100 yds away. Man I love shooting my Encore!

Matt

What do yall do with all the meat if you get 4 or more a year? I have a family of four and thought 3 would probably fill my freezer. Being a newbie to hunting as well as this board, Im interesteed in just how many I should take, with does being unlimited where I live.
nate

Eat it. My wife and I went through 6 last year. It's easy if you know how to cook it. I can make deer dishes every night of the week and always have something different. Plus we go through a bunch of hamburger and there are so many ways to cook that that you can fix a deer meal a day easy.

An Average deer only gives about 40# of boned meat so 4 a year with a family is not a real lot to consume
Ken

Red,

I would say 40 lbs is a high estimate for the deer I shoot. I usually get about 25-30 lbs of boned meat off my does.

We eat wild game almost EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. We buy absolutely no beef or chicken in the store. About the only meat we buy is pork chops and bacon.

BTW, last night we had deer burger tacos and tonight we are having wild turkey curry. Tommorow, maybe some deer stroganoff sounds good.

We will eat deer about every night, wont buy beef untill the deer is gone. We can eat 6-7 deer a year easily.

Matt

I could eat more than I do but my wife is not all that fond of wild meat. She will eat some and we have come across a few dishes where she doesn't taste the wild meat. Mostly I make sausage and jerky and that goes quick when company comes over. Some of my friends like deer meat and give them some.

Not sure what my deer per year average would be. For many years I only gun hunted and thus was limited to a single tag. Lately, I have been able to get more tags than I care to. I shot 13 deer last year and 5 this year.
My wife and I ate venison almost exclusively the first ten years we were married. Then, along came the kids and we didn't want to take the time to butcher ourselves. We started taking deer to the local locker and the quality of the product took a real hit (see the Aging Venison thread). After paying for some really gaming tasty venison, my wife has lost interest. I butchered two this year, giving some to landowners that granted me permission to hunt. I gave some to my boss (always a good suck up move if they like vension) and gave another whole deer to a co-worker. I made two batches of jerky to take to work. This year, I donated one deer to the Hunters United to Stop Hunger (HUSH) program. Last year I donated on to the Feed the Prisoners program (went to a state penitentiary). The group of guys I gun hunt with will take all the deer I don't want. That can be nice, just point to it after shooting it and it disappears. :D My farm is eligible for deer depredation permits.

Probably 3 on average. My wife, daughter and I will eat 2 deer. If we get a 3rd it goes into salami. If I get lucky and get any more than that I give it to my parents if my Dad has an off year. Just my Mom and Dad will eat 4 or 5. In the county in IN where I live you can kill 2 antlerless "bonus" deer in addition to your regular bag limits. On top of that I could go to another county and shoot two more antlerless deer. For about 4 years now in IN you can only kill one buck during all hunting seasons. So if you shoot a buck during bow season you are done hunting bucks. I haven't shot a buck since they put that rule into effect. I don't bow hunt, so I can shoot (if I choose) a buck during firearms season and then a doe or a buck during ML season if I didn't shoot a buck during firearms season. You can use the bonus antlerless tags during any legal season. So I could shoot up to 5 (1 buck & 4 does) if I wanted/had the opportunity.

Back