How many Optima V2 pistol owners....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
....harvested deer with them this year? Managed a young doe the forth day of the season. Maybe a 7 yard shot. 63 weighed grains of BH209 under a green crush rib and a .44 cal 225 grain Barnes XPB.

I know that the re-release of a mess of the Optima pistols spurred some buying but I haven't seen much for hunting reports.

I didnt even draw mine on a deer yet. We still have a few weeks here, on private land, to shoot antlerless. I have taken the scope off mine and resighted, to 50yds, with a peep and FO front sight.

Good luck to you MM.

I drove to the gun club this afternoon in the 18 degree air, little wind, and cooked off some 209 powder and 240 grain XTP's in mine. Same point of aim as the 225 XPBs at 50. Got to stay tuned ya know. Maybe 15 rounds. Still tight at an inc for 5 shots. Love it.

I kill deer with mine every year, usually more than one. Killed a black bear with in several years ago.

Fitted with a Burris scope, it’s perfect for shots on the non-dominant side of the tree stand. Way better for me than spinning around or shooting with the wrong hand. I just leave it sitting in my backpack so it’s super handy.

I also took the scope off my pistol and installed the CVA Durasights.
Have it sighted in good at 50 yards but somehow I managed to miss a shot at a doe at 15 yards. I should have just thrown my gun at it, would have probably done more damage to the deer. Lol

I was able to draw on 2 anterless. Both had small heads, I kept trying to justify shooting the big one. But I figured if I had to do that it was not worth pulling the trigger.

I have the .44 mag pistol i have harvested 2 with. Very accurate with 240 and 300gr xtps. In The 240s i am looking for a tougher bullet. The xtps dont hold up at close range for me. I am very disapointed with thier performance. They come apart in pieces on bone at 1600 to 1700fps. Dont enjoy meat that has pieces of lead and copper because the bullet cant hold up. Not trying to offend anyone just what i have experienced. The 300s work well and hold together.

Shot a decent 6 point 2nd week of muzzleloader. It was about a 20-25 yard shot. That 225 gr XPB performed very well.

Shot a decent 6 point 2nd week of muzzleloader. It was about a 20-25 yard shot. That 225 gr XPB performed very well.
Want to try barnes out sometime. Btw i have a centerfire 44mag not black powder pistol. I hear the barnes always perform.

Back