How much crush?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much crush on your primer?

• 0.002"-0.003"

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • 0.003"-0.004"

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • .004+

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
For those of you who like a crush on your primer, how much do you prefer? I understand there is a certain amount of risk in crushing the primer, and I am curious how much you all like and think is safe for your own personal use.

Zero % as I use the rubber O-Ring in the primer pocket which seals the primer and prevents blowback which can foul he firing pin assembly.

I use .004 to .005 because you can get some change in primer length. that way they all work good. and it make a difference in the gun you using.

My TC Encore Endeavor was real clean as it came from the factory so I put the same amount on my custom 45 encore and am quite happy with them.[0.004]

Maybe off topic a little,but how much crush can a cva break action have and still function properly?

I had about 0.012" worth of CVA shims on the firing pin pushing and tested two different Western and two different CVA BH209 plugs. In each case, and using the aforementioned plugs with Federal 209A, W209, Fiocchi 616, and CCI 209M primers, any primer longer than 0.298" got ~/>0.006" worth of crush, and I could not get the hammer to lock back.

In addition, I couldn't get the action to close using the o-ring in the primer pocket and no shims on the firing pin bushing, even using a 0.294" long primer.

I do .005" on my 45 cal NEF breakopen. You have to close the action smartly or it could fail to lock up. Zero leakage.

I used to shoot for .005 in my Knights. After using shims to find the perfect crush, they'ed shoot out after a short while. Now, I'm back to no seal and I just spend the little extra time to clean it.

I have / had no worry about over crushing.

Latest posts

Back