How Often Do You Shoot and Where

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How often do you shoot and where is most of your shooting done When I lived in Baltimore County I had my club 20 minutes from my house I use to shoot at least three times a week as I was retired Now In Delaware I have to travel 45 minute to my shooting club

Last edited:
20 feet out the back door,, the part of the country I live in in Southeast Texas on any given weekend sounds like a shooting range,, you will hear full auto, you will hear many single shots and pistols,, and the rednecks blowing up stuff with tannerite,, I think many of us in the southern part of the country take our freedom in the areas we have to shoot for granted I'm sure blessed to be able to shoot Right out My back door. If I had to drive 30 or 40 minutes to a range or club I would struggle with that.. I shoot on the average 4 days a week, anywhere from 20 to 50 rounds most of it muzzleloader however circumstances are changing that, many of my centerfire guns are coming back out just because of lack of supplies. Sometimes on the weekend I'll shoot about 4 hours a day.. I give the neighbors quiet at daybreak and quiet at dark from about 9:00 to 3:00 in the afternoon it's on!!! Really it's pretty cool to sit out on the porch in the evening or afternoon and hear 15 to 20 different shooters in the area practicing . Home sweet home

20 feet out the back door,, the part of the country I live in in Southeast Texas on any given weekend sounds like a shooting range,, you will hear full auto, you will hear many single shots and pistols,, and the rednecks blowing up stuff with tannerite,, I think many of us in the southern part of the country take our freedom in the areas we have to shoot for granted I'm sure blessed to be able to shoot Right out My back door. If I had to drive 30 or 40 minutes to a range or club I would struggle with that.. I shoot on the average 4 days a week, anywhere from 20 to 50 rounds most of it muzzleloader however circumstances are changing that, many of my centerfire guns are coming back out just because of lack of supplies. Sometimes on the weekend I'll shoot about 4 hours a day.. I give the neighbors quiet at daybreak and quiet at dark from about 9:00 to 3:00 in the afternoon it's on!!! Really it's pretty cool to sit out on the porch in the evening or afternoon and hear 15 to 20 different shooters in the area practicing . Home sweet home
I use to have a similar setup when I lived in the Coastal Bend part of Texas. Work up a load and walk outside to try it. Now where I live, I don’t have that luxury and it needs to be a planned trip. As such, the frequency of my trips to the range is down quite a bit.

Going to retire and move to Southwest Arkansas,, the national forest and Park service has public ranges all three are within 30 minute drive of the house they have covered benches and are well kept,, or I'm moving is a very rural and country area and I could shoot on the property that I'm moving on but I'll probably change that aspect of my shooting start traveling to the ranges don't want to scare the Bigfoot that lives behind my place.

Used to shoot a couple days each week at the Fort Sill private weapons range. Now we military retirees are required to pay and jump through hoops to shoot. i gave it up.

Our property in Garvin county has a decent firing range to 250 yards but it's 76 miles from home: i get over there about every three weeks. Will be there Friday to shoot the .54 calibers.

Recently put a shooting bench at our deer lease which is 40 miles from home.

I shoot rifles at an outdoor conservation range about 20 minutes from my house and pistols at an indoor range about 15 minutes away. With work and other obligations I only got to shoot about 6 times last year. I was hoping to change that this year, but so far I haven’t shot yet.

We have a cabin and 40 acres ten miles inland from Lake Superior at Two Harbors, MN. I shoot in the yard there during the warm weather months but I also belong to a club about 25 miles away and use it during the whole year, especially that month before the season begins.

I personally struggle sitting at a range with a lot of other people around me shooting,, I get a little phobic with people and guns always have,, I've gotten so used to just shooting by myself when I have to start shooting at a range with people beside me it'll take some getting used to,,, I would be the most nervous person at the range.

I tried slipping open the slider and shooting prone from the living room floor, but the smoke filled up the house pretty quickly. Now I step outside whenever I get bored.
If the spousal unit ever figures out some of the things I do when she is not around, I'm dead meat.

Then there was the time when I fixed up a disguised benchrest set up in the bedroom and a 22 target rifle hidden behind the dresser. The benchrest was a desk slid up against the wall in front of a window. When she would go to town or work, I would slip the window open and shoot for awhile.
Once I thought I had cleaned up pretty good, but that evening she stepped on an empty piece of brass while barefoot.

How often do you shoot and where is most of your shooting done When I lived in Baltimore County I had my club 20 minutes from my house I use to shoot at least three times a week as I was retired Now In Delaware I have to travel 45 minute to my shooting club
Since I live on club grounds (share holder) 1700 acres 2 ranges long 800/short 190 (they call it 200 ! I shoot most any time I feel like it ,today was squirrel with the Pedersoli but the critters didn't want to play (always tomorrow) season ends the 28th/Ed

I personally struggle sitting at a range with a lot of other people around me shooting,, I get a little phobic with people and guns always have,, I've gotten so used to just shooting by myself when I have to start shooting at a range with people beside me it'll take some getting used to,,, I would be the most nervous person at the range.
When I go up to the state land range, I always go during the week and early. Rarely see anyone else.

That's what I'll be doing when I start shooting in the national Forest in Southwest Arkansas I know most of the year there's not going to be anybody at those little government-sponsored public range up in the hills,, had an older brother almost shoot me with a 12 gauge in the house when I was a kid,, buckshot miss my chest by around an inch and a half, mother was sitting in a rocking chair a couple feet away everything was okay just blew the house up but it had a permanent effect on my psyche,, very untrusting sometimes of other people and firearms, don't need any therapy for it I've decided that it's not such a bad phobia to have, much as I love guns very respectful of what they do,, hard to take a bullet back hard to say you're sorry isn't it,, and yes I'm one of those guys that checks to see if the gun is loaded every 5 minutes,,, I'll discipline myself and get used to shooting around people maybe

I made it to Camp Perry once. They have one heck of big lawn. The shooters there were very disciplined compared to what I have seen in other places.

I belong to a small gun club only 10 minutes away. It’s not super nice or fancy, but I don’t need that anyway. For $35 a year it’s just fine for me. I try to avoid weekends cause that’s when it’s the most crowded. How often do I shoot? Not very often these days. I’m in a chapter of my life right now where all I do is run around. I have 3 teenage kids who play sports, and I’m pretty much their personal Uber driver. But that’ll all be over in a few years, and I’ll have as much time as I want to head to the range.

Around St. Louis we have a lot of indoor ranges you can be a member or just go in and shoot as a guest depending on the place, it’s ok for an occasional pistol shoot for an hour. We also have two outdoor ranges ran by our conservation, they are both nice but the one closest to my house has been closed for 3 years for repairs so I mostly shoot rifles at a few different private properties but only seem to take the time to do that no more than a few times a year.

Back