How Often Do You Shoot and Where

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m a long term member of the Blue and Gray club about 20 miles from my house. Most everybody I’ve been around there are good people and we have a great safety record. This range includes a pistol range, a combined 25/50 yard range, 100 yard and 200 yard ranges. The club is also developing a range in another county that will, according to what I’ve heard, include ranges out to 700 yards. I doubt I’ll ever have need to go there.

I’ve been a member at a club in central pa called blue rock. Fortunate to have a camp 5 miles away. Up to 300 yard rifle all covered benches. Skeet and trap range, pistol range and multi different kinds of shoots. One big thing is the bow fest in the fall draws a pretty big crowd. I shoot so much there I’d like to have half the lead back. The cost is 20 bucks a year. If I need to shoot further I just hop over to Mifflin County Sportmans 1000 yard range.

Here in Iowa can pretty much shoot where you want as per safety regulations/common sense. I live in town but go a couple of miles out to a friends farm to shoot. Have range set up to 500yds.

I have a 100yrds to work with at the house. Occasionally I will go over to the neighbor's property where I can shoot out to about 200yrds. So, I am lucky I don't have to go to a range for the most part. Only on the rarest of occasions would I be taking a shot at a deer beyond 150yrds. I have shot coyotes out in the fields with my .223 at 250yrds, but even that isn't typical (probably because I don't hunt them like I used to-I prefer to go to bed by 9:00 at night instead of going out with the night vision these days and hunting until 4:00AM, and then getting up to go to work). Bottom line, it would be fun to do some long-range shooting but hunting in IL and IA doesn't offer many long range opportunities for deer.

I shoot as often as squirrels come in my back yard to prevent them doing damage to my home. An air rifle does the trick about 2x a week.
Then with other weapons it varies thru out the year. Since I worked out all the bugs to get acceptable accuracy I am at ease with urge to shoot.
My favorite spot to shoot is on my lease an hour away where I setup in a draw protected from winds.
Here's an example photo showing my crossbow action.

20210720_113913.jpg

Back