HUGE SALES!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I opened my Traditions St Louis Hawken kit I received for Christmas and discovered they buggered up the breech plug during assembly which will not allow the barrel to seat in the tang. I have contacted Traditions and am waiting for a reply. I could probably file it down to allow the barrel to seat in the barrel tang but I don't want to mess with it until I hear from Traditions.
I also do not like the plastic sights and have obtained a T/C rear sight which will require a new tapped screw hole in the barrel. I am not sure what to get for the front sight yet.
MikeW

Can you take a pic of the breech plug?

I am installing a lyman great plains rifle non adjustable rear sight and german silver blade front sight. Not a fan of those TC style click adjustment sights.

I took pictures but they don't show very well and I don't know how to attach them other than an email.
The wrench they used obviously slipped causing a ridge on two sides which will not allow the breech to lock into the tang. Again, I could file them off but not sure if I should.

gedc0012.jpg

gedc0016.jpg

gedc0017.jpg

Hope you got the pics as I was experimenting the sending operation
MikeW

pics show fine!

I'd just take a fine tooth file and knock that burred edge off, not a huge thing.

At times, I've fit the tang using a small hammer and tapped it into place to seat it, then filed off the edges that showed the problem area.

OK, thanks for your review and input. It is greatly appreciated
MikeW

No problem! I find new issues and fixes on this one that will help folks out hopefully.

Just got the trigger guard on the kit i am working on now, inletted.

My trigger guard inletting looks identical to your pics on your building the kit site.

Latest posts

Back