Hunting in the rain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTimSmith

Reaction score
In Idaho muzzleloading hunts are primitive weapon hunts. Rain is in the forecast and I have 3 days to fill my elk tag. Can I tape the end of my Lyman GPR with duct tape to keep moisture out and shoot through it if I get an opportunity in the rain?
EagleTimSmith

I absolutely HATE hunting in the rain; but have had to on several occasions. I've done this with both percussion and flintlocks and never had any issues. I either cover the lock or keep it inside my jacket or under an armpit. The prime in the pan always stayed good and dry. If, however, the gun has been fired, prime will get soupy from the fouling absorbing moisture. I've had this happen on trail walks on particularly humid days.

I absolutely HATE hunting in the rain; but have had to on several occasions. I've done this with both percussion and flintlocks and never had any issues. I either cover the lock or keep it inside my jacket or under an armpit. The prime in the pan always stayed good and dry. If, however, the gun has been fired, prime will get soupy from the fouling absorbing moisture. I've had this happen on trail walks on particularly humid days.
Is there any issue wth taping the muzzle? I’ve done that with center fire rifles in the past. I appreciate the help with the lock. I have a plan for that now. It’s going to be cold and raining. I don’t want to blow an opportunity

I've used electrical tape in the past with no issues but have not tried duct tape. Also have used finger cots I believe they are called from the drug store. Basically just a small ballon.
Glenn

I don't use tape. I don't carry my rifle in a way that the muzzle points directly up. However, I have in the past used a "finger cot" and just put it over the end of the barrel with no accuracy issues. I don't like to use tape as it leaves a residue.

I use small party balloons over the nuzzle. No problems with shooting thru it. As for the action, I use a cows knee, heavily greased. For percussion guns I use a cut section from a vinyl hose to slide down over the cap on the nipple to keep water from entering. On my flint locks, I will add some bees wax to the edge of the pan to semi seal it from moisture. Hunting in the rain sucks, but when you only have a few days, you have to make the most of them.

In my experience, the air being pushed in front of the ball will beak the tape loose long before the bullet reaches the muzzle....

~WH~

1569687142660.png

There a dozen manufacturers selling muzzle covers today. When you take a shot you'll shoot right through them.

Last edited:
Any piece of tape over the muzzle works. I just never elevate the guns muzzle in rain.

I use saran wrap and hold it on with a rubber band. The charge just blows it off.

I too am concerned that it might rain the first day of my 3-day antelope hunt. I am strongly preferring to use my flintlock. I am taking a percussion rifel as a back-up. Instead of a whole new thread, please keep the advice and tips coming. EagleTimSmith and I can certainly use them.

I use finger cots for my rifle. In fact, I went on eBay and purchased a couple hundred black finger cots and passed a bunch of them out to everyone in deer camp. They are very inexpensive on eBay. A word of caution, if you're hunting in the rain, take them off the barrel at the end of the day and apply a little lube. If you leave them on the barrel for a couple of days you'll have a little rust starting. My brother found this out the hard way.

Last edited:
I know the OP's hunt is over, but for future reference I use electrical (black) tape. I load at the start of the season, tape the barrel, and hunt with that same charge until I get a shot. When not hunting I also set a foam earplug over the nipple and set the hammer down on it. My rifle may be loaded like this for up to two months. If I hunt in the rain, then I'll unload at the end of the day and put a fresh one in before the next hunt, but otherwise it is the same charge. I've never had any ignition issues. A couple of years ago I never got a shot during deer or late muzzleloader elk, and the rifle stayed loaded clear until the next July before I finally took it out to do some shooting. It went off with no hesitation.
Last year I shot a deer with the tape over the end of the barrel and there were no issues. They say the air in the bore between the projectile and the muzzle will blow the tape out of the way before the projectile arrives.
TC makes some red little stickers for putting over the muzzle too, but I much prefer electrical tape. The TC stickers leave a horrible residue after a while that is a pain to scrape off.
The Traditions muzzle condoms won't fit on a .54 cal by the way, at least not on my renegade with the front sight the way it is.

for my flintlocks, if it may rain, I use what was called a "calfs knee" which I just made out of smoked buckskin and water proofed with bear grease, bees wax and sweet oil which is the same stuff I wax my 12 ga. wads and cards and patching. Also press bees wax around the lock area between the wood and metal. Been working for a lot of years for me and probably for the great, great great- grandpaws....

I've used two pieces of black plastic electrical tape, just shoot through if you get a shot.

The correct term in the muzzle loading field is "cow's knee" referred to in many journals and historical papers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back