Hunting in the rain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can buy wide electric tape. I get at HDepot. I also use finger cots and keep the lock under my double cape frock until I'm getting ready to shoot. If you as a shooter are wary. Take some methods to the range and shoot to check accuracy affect for your confidence, then you'll be sure for YOURSELF!

We covered caring for the muzzle but seems no-one mentioned the lock area. A "cow's knee" is the most common and easiest devise to use plus simple to make. I see guys trying to cover their locks with their coats, under their arms, etc.

cow.jpg

several styles of attachment.

we used them- condoms in S,E, ASIA, back in the day, remember? unused ones!

When we were kids we put them on the tailpipes of the teachers cars we didn't like. The old maid teachers really got upset...... 😁 :rolleyes: 😏

It's been a long time since I did this, but I've used sandwich baggies over the lock on my percussion.

Glad Press and Seal works great on a muzzleloader barrel.... :thumbs up:

I just keep my muzzle pointed down, Never had an issue with snow or rain getting into this bore with this. A good quality patch lubricant that keeps rust out is highly important.

Then my nipple threads get a single wrap of white teflon tape to seal the threads.

I never cover the muzzle either. I keep it pointed down. I do pay attention to the flint lock and have never had a problem with them not firing.

I never cover the muzzle either. I keep it pointed down.

I knew a guy who did that here in Montana, seen his deer, brought up the bolt action rifle and well the barrel ended up looking like a blossoming flower o_O

"In my experience, the air being pushed in front of the ball will break the tape loose long before the bullet reaches the muzzle...."

~WH~

Exactly right.

clouds.jpg
Storm Mountain, Masonville CO
(view from my store)
We always liked hunting in the rain or snow, hopefully socked in with clouds. This was a great time for sneaking up close to game bedded down.

I was hunting outside of Estes Park in the fog in Jan season that was so thick I had trouble seeing my front sight at times, really socked in. I almost step on a fawn bedded down, went passed her about 25 yards and found half a dozen elk bedded down. Waited probably a few mintues (seemed like an hour) for them to get up then shot a yearling behind the ear. Young animals are better eating than some old animal with the big racks (can't eat horns) ... :cheers:

Last edited:
I knew a guy who did that here in Montana, seen his deer, brought up the bolt action rifle and well the barrel ended up looking like a blossoming flower o_O

When still in business in Colorado (muzzleloading - mountainman shop) that was the the first thing we did when taking in a trade was looked at the barrel for anything that said it had a swell.

I shake my head & laugh every time I see this question asked.
People are trying to resolve a nonexistent problem. Do you really think moisture is going to get past the patched ball? Unless you pour water down the bore & leave the gun pointing up for a long time, you won't have a problem. Just worry about keeping your lock/pan dry.

back in the day,1950's we didn't use safeties on the tail pipe, we didn't even know what one was. but would jam a potato into the tail pipe as the car would run a short time and stall out and would not start or run. the teacher would never think to look back at the tailpipe. worked every time!!

Latest posts

Back