Hunting in the rain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
back in the day,1950's we didn't use safeties on the tail pipe, we didn't even know what one was. but would jam a potato into the tail pipe as the car would run a short time and stall out and would not start or run. the teacher would never think to look back at the tailpipe. worked every time!!
When he was a teen, one a my uncles stuffed a tater up the tail pipe of a 1949 Nash cop car, then he and a buddy got the cop to chase their car.
I understand the cop was a wee bit startled when his exhaust split from tater to exhaust monifold with a "boom". (exhaust was rusty from salt on the roads over the winter)
Broke a few windows downtown, too, 'cording to the tale he told. :D

In 1974 the new Chevy Impalla cop cars ("Police Special" 454 inch V8's, "special" cams, big 4 barrel carburators ...) would not go over 34 mph.
My great uncle had a service station that did all the work on the cop cars.
Cops were putting leaded gas innum, and clogged the catalytic converters.

(recall that 1974 was the first year for emission comtrols, catylitic converters, and unleaded gasoline. I think gas stations were selling leaded gas for the older cars until 1979 or 1980 ...
The cops had removed the restrictor plates in the fuel fill so the larger leaded gas nozzels would fit ... even though that was (and is even today, regardless of the fact that leaded gas has not been sold in USA for going on 40 years) illegal.

Last edited:
I'M sure glad that some one else remembers using TATERS, IN THE EXHAUST. your giving up your age!!! those were the days!!

back in the day,1950's we didn't use safeties on the tail pipe, we didn't even know what one was. but would jam a potato into the tail pipe as the car would run a short time and stall out and would not start or run. the teacher would never think to look back at the tailpipe. worked every time!!

A potato contains quite a bit of water.

what does water in a potato have to do with the price of rice in CHINA??

what does water in a potato have to do with the price of rice in CHINA??

#1. You can't grow rice without water. #2. What has a potato on a tailpipe got to do with hunting in the rain? Of course if you hunt with a tailpipe.....

I shake my head & laugh every time I see this question asked.
People are trying to resolve a nonexistent problem. Do you really think moisture is going to get past the patched ball? Unless you pour water down the bore & leave the gun pointing up for a long time, you won't have a problem. Just worry about keeping your lock/pan dry.
You get enough rain drops down the barrel and yes, you will have a problem. I have seen it happen to me, personally, and know several others it has happened to. Doesn't take a whole lot of effort to put tape or a balloon over your muzzle.

In the Marines we used the plastic bag off the spoon over the flash suppressor to keep rain out of M16 when on shoulder or not held in rain. At the ready rain can't enter horizontal or downward pointed weapon. Barrel filled with water is a form of obstruction and we know what firing a weapon with any obstruction can do.

#1. You can't grow rice without water. #2. What has a potato on a tailpipe got to do with hunting in the rain?
Enough rain, sn ... sn ... sn ... white stuff, or sleet in the bore could become a blockage.

I have read accounts in old journals of our forefathers using the thin skin of an animals tied over the muzzle and similar skin over their flintlocks or percussion guns. They always tried to keep the muzzle facing down in bad weather.

I've never had a problem with a muzzleloader, flint or percussion, getting put out of action or not firing readily after being in the rain during a hunt. It's not difficult at all to protect them.

"Hunting In The Rain" ...

While I am in no way, shape or form a "fan" of Hank Williams, Jr. ...
I must agree with him on two points.

I too, am against fishing and hunting in the rain, (and the white stuff) when I have any choice in the matter.

Loved hunting in the snow in Ohio but now will tough it out in Tennessee lol

"Hunting In The Rain" ...

While I am in no way, shape or form a "fan" of Hank Williams, Jr. ...
I must agree with him on two points.

I too, am against fishing and hunting in the rain, (and the white stuff) when I have any choice in the matter.
To each his own.....

Like you guys in Boncarbo (French word meaning bon carbon, meaning good coal) if you were wondering, there you take what you get and go with it...... :cheers:

Like you guys in Boncarbo (French word meaning bon carbon, meaning good coal) if you were wondering, there you take what you get and go with it...... :cheers:
Yes we knew the meaning. Quite a few old coal mining areas within just a couple of miles of our homestead.
And like Doug1968, I too like hunting in the snow. There is something about the cold that makes it exciting and fun.
We had a small rain storm while hunting this year, and didn't bother a damned soul. It did make nice and quiet stalking, instead of leaves crackling under the feet. We'll be heading to the eastern plains of Colorado in January to remove some prairie pooches
:thumbs up::dancing chicken:😁
Thanks Buck for letting the folks know the meaning of "Boncarbo". Even in Colorado, most folks never heard of the place. Oh yeah, Merry Christmas to all.

I've posted on this earlier, I have used electrical years ago with great success. Then I went to finger cots. I got them at the pharmacy stores. My brother bought a 500ct bag on line for a nice price. Check it out and do what suits you. To become confident, shot at the range for your own test firing. Good hunting.

Years ago I was discussing this very question with Jim Baichtal, another muzzleloader aficionado in Thorne Bay (Prince of Wales Island). It rains a LOT in S.E. Alaska, 101 inches per year in Thorne Bay, 165 inches per year in Ketchikan; keeping a muzzleloader functioning can be a challenge! He said that he kept his gun cased, didn't pull it out of the case until the final stalk on the game. He has been quite successful; do a search for Jim "Baichtal Sitka Blacktail Deer".

I've never had a problem with a muzzleloader, flint or percussion, getting put out of action or not firing readily after being in the rain during a hunt. It's not difficult at all to protect them.
I agree. Never covered a percussion hawker neve had an issue. Muzzle is always down from level until shouldered. Just my style for safety and protection of the weapon.

Latest posts

Back