I finally got to throw some lead out of the Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun

Reaction score
Got to shoot my Omega for the first time today. I can see how people get addicted. What a blast to shoot. I shot at 50 yrds. and T7 loose FFG for all shots. This is how the day went.

Maxi ball 370 gr - Tried it with 80 to 100 grains. Both 85 and 90 gr. seemed to work the best. The best groups I could get were 3 - 4 inch groups.

Maxi Hunter 350 gr - Shot about the same as the Maxi Ball.

Hornady Great Plains 385 gr : These didn't shoot well at all out of my gun. One would hit right where I was aiming, the the next 4 or 5 was all over the place.

I tried the Shockwaves that came with the gun. At 50 yrds, they shot great but I can't hunt with sabots.

It's just the beginning of the process to find the best conical load. I used T17 solvent on a wet patch, then followed up with 2 dry patches between shots. The first run through with the T17 knocked out the crud ring without any problems. :D I didn't even bother with 100 yrds, I still have a lot of work to do at 50. From what I read about the Omega after I bought it, it doesn't sound like a conical gun. My approach to find the one conical that shoots best is to try serveral more different ones. Then take the best shooting ones and try them with a FFFg powder if I can get tighter then 3 or 4 inches at 50 yards. Any advice from you guys that been shooting awhile?

Cajun

you might find yhat the SABERTOOTH by harvester in a 300gr or 350gr
will shoot good for you , my wife shoots the 270gr over 85gr of 777 and they are very deadly.

or measure you bore and contackt BULL SHOP BULLETS and see what he might recomend I found out that he will send you a sample of some diff ones so you can see what mite shoot the best out of the gun.

PS - IF you didn't use a felt wad under the maxi ball or hunter you may whant to try that also

No Excuse Conicals might also shoot well out of the rifle. Get the 460 grain in .503 diameter and then start out with 70 grains of Triple Se7en Powder and see how they do...

Thanks for the info guys. I'll look into ordering the conicals mentioned because the only local place doen't carry any of those. I knew you guys would have some good advise. I'll also try the wads too, I didn't use any. What website do you order the No Excuses Conical from? I found the site that sells the saber tooth.

Thanks,
Mitch

Latest posts

Back