I have a problem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
The day was spent in my basement reloading a bunch of bullets. As I was finishing I went to my gun room and picked up my 22-250. I tried to cycle the bolt and it was very stiff. Trigger didn't want to work either. A close look reveal RUST :mad:. checked several others and found another with same problem.
My gun room is built on an out side wall of the house and is insulated but this past summer was very wet. Lots of rain and humidity. The two guns affected haven't be out for a couple of years. The rest seem to be OK.
I thought about breaking them down and doing a thorough cleaning and oiling but not sure if that will be enough. It might be best to take them to my gunsmith and him do it. I'm just sick.
Think I'll build a gun locker.

I spent the better part of the day working on the 2 rifles. The first was my 22-250. It wasn't as bad as I thought. Got cleaned up. Used some solvent and a dremel tool with a wire wheel on some of the tougher rust. Put on lots of oil and I seems to be working. Fortunetely there wasn't any rust on or in the barrel. The 2nd rifle was my sons 30-06. It was a little worse. Got the rust off but the rifle didn't want to function. Finally had to take the trigger assembly apart and clean and lube it. Seem to be OK now. Again no rust in the barrel. A friend suggested a bag of Silica Sand in the room to absorb the humidity. Sounds like that might be a good idea. IMO the room is too small for a dehumidifier. This is the first time in 10 years that this has happened, but last summer and fall were very wet around here.

Hey Raf,
I know exactly what you mean. I have a Humidometer in my house and it was reading over 80% most of the summer. I have been keeping a watchful eye on my guns and have been liberally applying oil. My 7mm showed some minor surface rust on the outside of the barrel nearest the action. Made me sick too.

Maybe some Golden Rods and a big lightbulb left on? You need some dry heat in that room, I think.

That is sickening and I know how you feel. Aren't you glad you caught it when you did? My firearms are upstairs in the heat/cool but my reloading stuff is in the basement also. Dehumidifier is on my list.

RAF:

Glad to see that the guns are fixed. IMO, if the room is closed up enough to accumulate enough moisture to rust the guns, then it's not too small for a dehumidifier. It doesn't have to be a monster!

Blue-Dot-37.5

Every time I buy something with a silica bag in it it goes in the gun cabinet. It isn't the cure but it does help, and also I recomend every 4 to 6 months taking your guns out and relubing them

Nutt189 said:
Every time I buy something with a silica bag in it it goes in the gun cabinet. It isn't the cure but it does help, and also I recomend every 4 to 6 months taking your guns out and relubing them
I have a friend who does the same thing with those little bags. Have thought what you said about relubbing would be a good idea. The 2 that were affected haven't been out for quite some time.

Back